Monday, July 09, 2012

DEHYDRATION SUCKS

My run on Saturday ended up being only 11 miles, not 12. How did that happen? Well, it was a bunch of things.

Lately I've been really thirsty. Literally after some 6 mile runs I have consumed sixty ounces of water and still am parched. I don't seem to be peeing in relation to the amount of liquid I am consuming either. But I'm not bloated and I feel fine. So maybe the heat is just really making me sweat a ton? I dunno. Writing this is making me thirsy.

The quest for liquid relief.
I forgot about the Timbers game, which was on from 6-8pm. Originally I planned on running around 5 or 6pm. Shortly before that I realized there was a Timbers game, so there was no way I could fit a run of twelve miles in before that started. Eventually I made the decision to run right after the game. If I left at 8pm, I would be done around 9:40 or so right before it got real dark.

Originally my route had me running in the Fanno Creeks paths. I would have passed a water fountain at miles 4 and 9. That got scratched, I didn't want to drive there. Then I thought, I could just run my 10k route twice! I could stop at the house for a drink halfway through. Naw, that's boring and I don't want to ruin my 10k route. So I hastily planned a new 12 mile loop from my house. At this point the clock was ticking and the water equation left my mind.

Anyways, run was going good until about mile 8. I felt really thirsty and my body started to complain. I'm pretty sure if I would have been hydrated I wouldn't have felt this way because the run was going great to that point. Eventually I knew I would pass Conestoga Rec Center and I thought for sure there would be some sort of water fountain there. Plus, there is a school next door. Schools have water fountains.

What the fuck do my tax dollars pay for? Well, a lot, but apparently not water fountains. Complete bullshit. I stalked the grounds for a public water fountain but there were none. Not even by the sports fields. WTF? I was pissed off at this point and eventually found my way back to the road.

Mentally I was starting to lose it but only a few blocks away, illuminated by a street light (it was getting dark) there was relief. The sprinklers were going off at an apartment complex. I hopped across the road just as fast as my little legs could take me and then bent down next to the spinker and cupped the water into my mouth. These sprinklers were high pressue and water was going everywhere, making it hard to cup much of a drink, but I slurped from that sprinkler for a good two mintues. I slowly rotated hunched over with it as it turned and spat (you can see sprinkler location marked with rot dot).

Eventually an older gentlemen walked past and gave me a strange look so I decided to stop. It was too late though, dehydration had taken hold and I wasn't going to get it back. My body was hurting and it would have been stupid to push myself too hard. I run until 11 miles and then stopped and walked the rest of the way.

Really hope that water wasn't recycled sewage or something!

No comments:

Post a Comment