Monday, July 01, 2013

ELEVEN MILE RUN IN THE HIGH DESERT

A picture of the trail on my high elevation run on Saturday in 84 degree heat.
Last Saturday I had one of my more memorable long runs. I was in Sunriver, Oregon on a short trip with some running pals for the Pacific Crest Sports Festival. While I didn't partake in any of the events like some on the trip, I was definitely inspired to next year. This festival is amazing and is a "can't miss" type event that brings in athletes from all over the western states. It is a three day long festival with just about every event you can imagine... 5/10k, half marathon, full marathon, two lengths of triathlon, two lengths of duathlon, bike races, kids races, etc. Really, really awesome with a big athletes village hopping at all times of the day.

The challenging part of competing in Sunriver is the elevation. I didn't really think of it before I started running on Saturday, but you are at 4200 feet in elevation and man is it noticeable. I will no longer poo-poo people talking about exercising at elevation... it is HARD. My friend Matt and I set out to run on a trail near the cabin we were renting. I wasn't expecting much but was pleasantly surprised at how nice the trail was. Absolutely beautiful and it was packed dirt so it was easy on the legs. Some rocks to dodge but nothing major.

Like I said, the most difficult thing was the elevation. We were only running at a 10:00/mile pace but I was breathing like I was running an 8:00/mile. I lost my breath about a minute into the run and didn't get it back until hours after. Seriously. You'd take deep breaths and you couldn't catch your breath. You'd slow your speed to catch your breath but be unable to. It was crazy. When we'd stop to navigate I'd be gasping for air with my heart going was faster than I am used to. All at a 10:00/mile pace! It was insane. My legs felt fine but my lungs were burning and would for hours after.

"Psychedelic" asparagus we found on the run.
Not only was the oxygen in short supply (85% of what I am used to I later found out), but it was HOT. It was only 84 degrees, but I ran at 1pm (genius) and there wasn't a ton of shade on the route. Plus, this is technically a desert, so it was a really intense heat. Thankfully I had water with me, otherwise I probably would have died out there. Really intense to be in that heat and unable to catch your breath. I love me a challenge though.

Matt dropped off after one lap (5.5 miles) so I did the last half of the 11 miles by myself. The last 3 miles or so were pretty grueling as the heat and lack of oxygen were getting to me. I originally planned to "fart around" for a while to hit 12 miles, but as soon as I got to the end of the loop I stopped the watch right at 11 miles. Absolutely brutal but absolutely beautiful. One for the memory banks and a great accomplishment!

Final Run Stats: 11.01 miles in 1:50:14. 10:00/mile. First lap: 54:08, second lap: 56:06.

2 comments:

  1. That sounds like hell and gives me 'Nam flashbacks to climbing Mt. Fuji last summer. We would take about 5-10 steps and be completely out of breath. Isn't it crazy?! Way to get it done. I'm still hiding from the humidity most days with my weight racks ;) Also did you finally get a Garmin?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope, no Garmin, still just Endo. :)

    ReplyDelete