Monday, December 16, 2013

RUNNING IN CIRCLES

Not his only sport anymore!
For the next three months I'll be running in circles inside on Mondays and Wednesdays instead of going to running group at PRC. I'm super bummed about this but it will only be a temporary setback. Let me back up though. Brandon had talked about possibly wanting to play basketball. His father is all soccer all the time. His mom really wants him to play another sport other than soccer (dad can get a little too into it). I remember playing lots of different sports growing up as a kid and loved the change of pace each provided. I'm afraid Brandon will get burnt out on soccer so I really wanted to give him the opportunity to play something else.

Anyways, I volunteered to sign Brandon up for basketball and drive him to all practices/games. Transportation can be an issue at times for them and I knew the only way he would be a reliable teammate is if I were to spearhead the entire thing. So I signed him up. And the second I did that I just KNEW practices would be on Mondays and Wednesdays just to fuck with me. That's how the world works for me.

Long story short, I get the news that practices are indeed on Mondays and Wednesdays and start at 5:30. Which means I have to get into work an hour early so I can get off an hour early to truck my ass over to Hillsboro to pick him up in rush hour traffic. A few dozen swear words later I accepted my fate. The coach neglected to call us so Brandon already missed a week of practice. He's also never played basketball or any other sport other than soccer competitively. So he's afraid of being the new kid and starting a new sport and tried back out and say it was okay, he didn't need to play, etc.

My new home for 12-14 miles a week. I wonder if
Endo will be able to track me decently in here?
Don't want to count laps.
Oh, no you don't! One, you are going to have a blast after one or two practices when you are no longer the new kid and basketball isn't scary and new. And two, we don't quit! If we sign up for something, we follow through. Believe me, I wish I could have just said, "you know, you're right, that will be a giant pain in my ass, let's scrap it." However, that would be the wrong reply. I will miss my PRC running buddies but come March I'll be able to go back running with them and Brandon will have had a hopefully rewarding season in basketball!

Luckily, his practices are at the main THPRD Sports Complex, which consists of six indoor basketball courts and an INDOOR TRACK circling above. So, on the bright side, I get to still run and it will be inside during the cold and often wet winter months. Plus, I'll get to watch him in practice a little bit as I circle the track. I'll miss the scenery and friendship of the PRC run, but I've already decided I'll load podcasts onto my phone and listen to those as I circle to hopefully break up the boredom. I'll also maybe try to convince mom or dad to give Brandon a ride from time to time so I can check in with my PRC peeps.

No comments:

Post a Comment