Thursday, November 13, 2014

2014 RIVALRY CLASH 10K RACE RECAP

Four of the top six finishers in the 10k were Beavers! We all were kind of bunched for a lot of the race so we had to take a photo!
The second year of the Rivalry Clash is in the books and once again I set a new PR despite getting edged out by a PRC compatriot. I would venture to say this year's race was even less organized than last year's despite having some new features... so I'm not sure I'd do this race again. Overall, nothing went wrong, it just wasn't exactly the most well put on event I've been to.

Anyways, I woke up around 7am and drove to Portland International Raceway to pick up my packet. After picking that up I basically stayed in the car until five minutes until the race started in an effort to keep warm. It was 48 degrees and I only had on shorts and short sleeve t-shirt. I knew I'd be fine once the race started but I'd be a little cold just standing out there. Eventually I found my way to the start and met Glenn from running group, who was also running the 10k.

Like last year, they lined the Ducks and the Beavers up on separate sides of the chute and then started the race. It was a lot less running "toward" each other though than last year, we just kind of turned immediately and went through the start line. Unfortunately I was in first place for the first quarter mile and hated every second of it. I knew I wasn't going to win, so I just wanted someone to pass me so I didn't have to lead the freaking race and have everyone look at and gun for me. Luckily some fasty passed fairly quickly and I was able to just be another runner.

After that it was just your standard 10k. I had the right pace going, my lungs were screaming but my legs felt pretty good for the most part. I started out a little fast but was hitting the correct pace by mile two. As expected, the course was a mix of pavement, gravel, and grass. Most of it was gravel and the grass portions were minimal, so that was nice. Still, the gravel wasn't ideal and likely cost me a few seconds on my time but for the most part it didn't affect me.

The course was two laps of 5k each and coming through after that first one I was very tired already. Wished I had only done the 5k. I think that is true in any 10k though, if you feel good halfway through you are doing something wrong. Glenn had stuck by my side and would NOT go away. He's more of a natural athlete than me and I had a sneaking suspicion he'd beat me this race. I've beaten him in previous races but all those were a half marathon or longer. I think he's better at the shorter stuff.

So that second lap... Glenn passes me around mile four and slowly gets a lead. I really didn't care because I needed to run my own race. While I was tempted to dart after him that would likely be stupid in the long run. Just concentrated on keeping my pace and breathing steady. A couple spots of gravel are deep and loose and cause me to lose some momentum. Just keep chugging. It had started to rain right as the race started but toward the end it died down to a sprinkle at most.

I notice my watch is shorting the course, which wasn't a surprise given it's weaving nature. So while my pace was reading 7:06/mile, I knew I was in fact running a bit faster. Eventually, once I got near the finish line, I switched to the page with my overall time and saw I was going to finish somewhere near a "mid-43," which was great considering my PR was a touch over 44. I crossed the finish line in 6th place and doubled over to catch my breath after giving Glenn a high give (he finished ahead by 12 seconds).

5k Beavers lining up for the start.
43:27 overall, a new PR by 34 seconds! Now, that previous time was run on a course that was nearly 10.2k and if adjusted would be something like 43:15. However, that course was all pavement and the gravel on this course certainly slowed me down. So I'd say the efforts are about equal... 6:56/mile for that run, 6:59/mile for this one. I feel good that I finally have a time that actually reflects my effort. Running sub 7s and having a PR of 44:01 was just weird.

Overall, a very successful race! Going under 7:00/mile over six miles sucks. Hell, it sucks over one mile! However, I guess I am in barely good enough shape to maintain that. If I am to beat my Dad's time at Shamrock I'll need to maintain that over 15k and a hilly course... so I still have work to do!

Official Time: 43:27, 6:59/mile. 6/91 overall.

2 comments:

  1. Great job on the PR! I have faith you'll beat your Dad's time, just keep working at it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make me laugh. "Unfortunately, I was in first place for the first quarter mile..." Yeah, I hate when that happens--why can't people just be faster than me once in a while? Geez! ;) Anyway, congrats on you PR!

    ReplyDelete