Monday, August 10, 2015

FIRST TWENTY IN TWENTY FIFTEEN

A majority of the 3:30 pace group at the end of the Marathon Course run. I think we started out with ten.
This last weekend was my first twenty miler of this Portland Marathon training cycle and my first twenty miler this year. I was a little anxious about this run due to my lack of running the last two weekends. After a moderately successful 19-miler on July 18th I didn't run over twelve miles for twenty days. Each of those twelve milers was miserable too and caused issues with my mid-week running. Needless to say, I needed a confidence boost and this run certainly delivered.

Most marathon training plans have a final twenty mile run before you step down for two weekends before the race. So your long runs go something like: 20, 14, 8, marathon. Why do I mention this so far out from the marathon? Well, I used that to convince myself I wouldn't be horribly out of shape and unable to do this twenty. If you can take "two weeks off" before the marathon, then you can't loose that much fitness in two weeks. As long as I got back on track, I should be fine.

Thankfully, the logic seemed to work! I know it doesn't directly translate and I shouldn't slack off again, but this run actually went really well. Got that boost of confidence I needed. My body felt pretty good before, during, and after the run. During the run I started noticing my legs tiring around mile 12, and they started to really be noticeable around mile 16, but nothing out of the ordinary. A normal feeling twenty miler. Afterward I was able to get up the stairs to and from my car in the parking garage just fine too. So that's very encouraging!

I feel like I've done the marathon course training run more than just one time before (maybe we did it with Coach Jim once?) but I really enjoy this run. First of all, it's a different course and not one of those same stupid out-and-backs we do ad nauseum with PMC and Coach Jim. Not that there is anything wrong with them, they are fine routes, I've just ran on them so much it's very nice to get a change up from that. Also, this run is really well supported, we had six aid stations along the route well stocked with candy, chips, pretzels, sports drink, and water.

Later that day I went to Oaks Park with Brandon and walked around a bunch. My legs felt pretty good and I think it was good for them to walk around and loosen up. I also gave myself a little self massage to try and break up some of the gunk that collects on your muscles after a long run. Overall, I think a lot of the issues I've been having with my legs feeling like shit can be addressed by stretching regularly and doing this self massage. I should also probably invest in a foam roller. It doesn't really make sense how on Monday twelve miles can leave me limping but on Saturday I can run twenty and feel pretty decent after. Hopefully that's the key.

Anyways, I hope to get a solid week of training in. I wrote up a marathon training plan way at the beginning of this cycle but haven't been using it. There would be a lot of red. I'm just going to wing it. Get my two runs in with PRC during the week, do my long run on the weekend, and then hopefully get my ass out the door on my own either Thursday or Friday to hopefully do some speedwork. I have no idea if I'm on track for a 4:15 or a 3:45. Guess we'll find out in eight short weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment