Tuesday, November 24, 2015

SO, ABOUT THAT HALF THIS WEEKEND...

Back when Hot Buttered was a 12k.
Well, slap me sideways, I have a half in five days. I haven't thought too much about it... I have been doing my long runs on the weekend in anticipation for it, but other than that I've done no real preparation for it. I've done a couple "faster" runs in the last two weeks but nothing much that really qualifies as speedwork. So I'm not expecting miracles here. I'll have a preview of the race up likely on Friday or Saturday, but needless to say, I'm not expecting a great time. I'll give it 100% and that's all that you can ask!

The wet and the cold has really sucked recently. Since I just don't care as much anymore, I'm not going to force myself outside to run when I don't have to. Since the marathons I've been running three days a week and that is serving me just fine. I want to see my buddies and feel guilty if I skip the Monday and Wednesday PRC runs, so that takes care of two days a week. That just leaves the long run on the weekend in the light. I can manage that. Hopefully some weeks I'll feel like going for a fourth or fifth run of the week but I'm not going to expect it.

This last weekend I ran eight miles as my long run. Part of the "taper" for the half marathon. Yesterday I wasn't able to get to run group in time after getting stuck in traffic. I was actually pretty glad I didn't make it, it was 39, raining, and cold as balls. That is the sort of thing that is going to make me hate running. Old Thomas would have got home and ran the miles on his own around the neighborhood. New Thomas turned on the fireplace, kicked his legs up, and watched football. I'll run on Wednesday and then again on Thursday to burn off some calories before Thanksgiving. Then on Sunday I'll have the race. So the week will shake out just fine.

1 comment:

  1. I like New Thomas ;) That's the point that I've gotten to with running, and I'm so much happier!

    ReplyDelete