Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Well, been pretty busy the past few days with FBLA (Future Busniess Leaders of Amercia), so I'll tell you all about it.

The annual State Leadership Conference was held Sunday-Tuesday at the Red Lion Hotel at Jantzen Beach. That is one huge ass hotel. Anyways, there's no actual leadership involved, you just basically take a one hour test of a subject and see how you do. That's all FBLA is... basically its fun because you get to skip school, stay in a hotel, and hang out all day.

Bus left for the hotel on Sunday at 1:30pm, but I drove myself cause I had to go to work on Monday. Anywho, I left about 3:00 heh heh heh. We had the "opening session" at 4:00 where they basically overview what will be happening and not to be idiots in the hotel. Like that would help. Anyways, it was huge this year again, about 1600 students from all across the state were there. Tualatin managed to truck in 124 of them, so a good chunk of the school was absent.

Stayed in a hotel room with Kenny and another guy. It had a mini fridge, unlike everyone else's (bling), so we stocked it with Gatoraide and food. Oh yes. Anyways the rest of Sunday was spent just hanging out and going out to dinner. There's actually a few good places in that area, so we walked to Newport Bay and had dinner. It was expensive, but good. Plus, we're stupid little white suburban kids and our parents were paying for it.

Monday was "event day". You could do your test anywhere from 8-12 or 2-4:30. We woke up at 10:00 and I went and took an Economics test. The line was pretty big, I had to wait 30 minutes just to get into the testing room, which itself was huge. Probably held 200 kids at a time. Anyways, that test wasn't too bad, but there was a lot of stuff I guessed on. Didn't think I placed in the top 10 (those people get awards).

Then I went to work at about 12:30 and stayed there for a couple of hours. That was fun as usual, no need to elaborate.

Came back and took an Accouting II test. I signed up for it last minute because I knew how to do it (in Accounting II) and I knew I was fucked in Economics. Anyways, it was actually pretty basic so I didn't labor too much. A few tough questions were I just guessed. That's the great thing about FBLA, it doesn't matter how you do, not like you're graded. So basically, you don't have to care. Some people take it very seriously of course, studying hard, but who the hell wants to do that?

Anyways, testing over we ordered pizza to watch the NCAA basketball championship. We got the 5-5-5 Deal from Dominos, five medium pizzas for five bucks each. Also stocked up on the beverages and chips of course. Watched a really entertaining game between North Carolina and Illinios, which the Tar Heels coming out on top. That's the team I wanted to win, so I was happy. We then attended a little desert thing, where they awarded prizes for advisor of the year and stuff. Brownies were gooooood.

Next day woke up at 7 because the awards session was at 8. They call 10 people up to the stage for each event, award 10th place, then 9th place, then 8th place, and so on. Anyways, Accounting II came up fairly quick and I was actually called up. Last of the ten names of course, but it was all good and well. Ended up getting 8th, which was pretty damn good for not even studying or really knowing I was going to take it. I didn't place in Economics, but I couldn't really care less. Made two bucks off my friend, betting he would get in the top ten of his event. He thought he sucked and bet against himself... he got 3rd.

Once that was over, I came home and wrote a huge essay. Finally went to school today to find the whole school had basically shut down while we were gone (Choir was in Canada as well). So I didn't miss much and had a fun time.

No comments:

Post a Comment