Friday, January 25, 2013

RUNS FOR COOKIES 5K RACE REPORT

Tonight I ran another virtual 5k race, this time for the blog Runs for Cookies. The author of the blog, Katie, was turning 31 and thought it would be fun if people ran 3.1 miles with her on her 31st. I think over a thousand people signed up, so I would say it was a smashing success!

My goal was under twenty five minutes and I was just barely able to get that. I finished in 24:51, so just under the line. I am kind of disappointed with that time, considering it is 1 minute a mile over my record pace, but at the same time I have to take into account a few things:
  • It was a virtual race, so while I knew I was in a race and that was motivating, I didn't have the competition around me that usually pushes me to run even a bit harder
  • Very hilly route. Not a route to set a great time on. Don't really have a flat option without taking a car ride somewhere!
  • After work on a Friday, so I was pretty worn out
So, when I put it that way, I actually did a really good job! ;) I did though, I definitely pushed myself and my lungs were burning and towards the end my muscles started to complain. When I finished it took me a few minutes to catch my breath and cool down, much more than a normal run.

Anyways, it was fun. I like things that get me out and make me challenge myself. I even wore a bib for the race that she designed, but unfortunately I saw nary a soul on my run so nobody could look at me like I was crazy.

Tomorrow I am going to do twelve miles. I might have to go into work so hopefully I can get it in before I get called in for that. I don't know what route I am going to run. Wish I could push it off until Sunday, but I have Brandon that day and there just won't be time. Oh, and hopefully it's sunny too! We had a warmup today that brought rain, so hopefully the warm stays and the rain goes away!

Total time: 24:51. Mile times were 7:43, 7:58, 8:05.

No comments:

Post a Comment