Friday, August 08, 2014

GETTING STUNG IN THE EYE

Imma sting you in the eye, okey day?
I forgot to mention that I was stung right near the eye by a bee in the Crawfish Crawl Half Marathon. There is nothing like getting stung a few miles into a half marathon you are already dreading. I was just running along and then all of a sudden I felt something hit my eye hard. I thought it was a normal bug, but nope, it was a bee and it freaked out. I, in turn, crushed it trying to remove it from my eyeular area.

So it stung me kind of on the bone of my eye socket. Thankfully bee stings don't effect me much, especially yellow jackets. I was stung by an entire hive (~35 at one time) when I was eight years old so I built up somewhat of an immunity. It still stings a little bit but I don't swell or have too bad of pain or anything. It was just annoying. By the second loop whatever lingering effects had gone away. That was a first running though!

After the races on Saturday and resting on Sunday I've done some good work. At group on Monday I ran six miles easy (9:39/mile), still recovering from the hard weekend. After a day off on Tuesday I ran a marathon pace run on Wednesday at run group. Hit seven miles in an average of 7:53. Good workout! I follow that up the next day, yesterday, with a tempo run on my home 10k course. Hit that hillier run in 7:36/mile and felt pretty good. It was certainly a challenge though.

Tomorrow I have my first official twenty mile run of the training cycle with PMC (I did the 10 and 16 back to back a couple weeks ago, that was similar). We're running the final twenty miles of the marathon course and they'll have EIGHT aid stations along the way. Should be a really fun run. Only issue is the 8am start, but it's going to be hot tomorrow, so it's a good thing.

1 comment:

  1. Getting stung by 35 bees at 8 years old? Reminds me of My Girl! That kid's name was Thomas, too. (Anyway, I'm commenting from my phone... It works!)

    ReplyDelete