Tuesday, April 28, 2015

ONEAMERICA 500 FESTIVAL MINI MARATHON RACE PREVIEW

Can't wait to see these people again!
Can't believe how fast this race snuck up on me! I started the week at work totally forgetting I wouldn't be there from Thursday-Monday. Good thing I never really do anything for a trip before the night before I have to leave, so I'm not behind or anything. I'll throw some clothes in a bag and call it good. Despite kind of letting it sneak up on me, I'm actually really excited to see all my teammates, and now I'm really pumped for Thursday to get here already.

I was able to do ten miles on Sunday as my last long run before Indy. Matt joined me for the run and we ended up running faster than I would have liked, finishing the miles at an 8:58 pace. My legs weren't feeling super fresh despite having the previous three days off (I did group Monday and Wednesday, but didn't get out there by myself). I'm going to take it easy this week before the race... nothing fast. Don't want to upset my sensitive little legs.

Anyways, I did a little research on the race and started to formulate my goals for the event. The race itself is super flat which is actually kind of a worry. My legs are used to up and down, it gives various muscle groups small breaks, and just totally flat can actually build up soreness in my muscles faster than some gently rolling terrain. While my legs might be feeling it, it shouldn't be too big of an issue. I certainly can't use "it was too flat" as an excuse for a crappy time. So I'll just have to embrace the flatness.

The route of the race is fairly bland. I watched a preview video of the course and it mostly takes place on large streets without a lot of scenery. Not sure if there are "pretty" parts of Indianapolis, but, if there are, we sure aren't running through them. We do get to run around Indianapolis Motor Speedway, which should be fun. I have heard that is the most boring part of the race though, as there isn't a lot to look at and the track itself is a couple miles long.

Those large streets and event size will be a challenge though. I'll have to try to pay attention and run the best line I can. I could easily add a couple tenths of a mile to my run by not paying attention and missing big on the tangents. I'm not going to memorize the turns, so hopefully I'll be able to see ahead in the sea of humanity and position myself accordingly. Right at mile 12 you turn left and the finish is 1.1 miles straight ahead. I'm not sure whether or not that will be exciting and fun or straight up torture.

Another challenge will be the whole sleep/time zone thing. I'm already a night owl, and that does not mesh well at all traveling east and waking up early for races. I'm also sharing a hotel with three other people, so one person breathing loudly at night could keep me up. So that will all be touch and go. I'd like to be confident on how I'll feel on race day, but it is going to depend a lot on my sleep and how rested I am. Hopefully that won't be a big issue and I'll be able to attack the race appropriately.

Laughably flat.
RACE GOALS:

"A" Goal: 1:42:30 or faster. This is 7:49/mile, my pace at Shamrock. This race is flatter, but obviously longer. This would also beat my first ever half marathon time. I think if I'm feeling good and have a good race, I can get this. It's going to require 100% effort though.

"B" Goal: 1:44:59 or faster. I still set my bar for most half marathons at 1:45. Anything less is acceptable. Anything more and something went wrong (unless it's Bald Peak or similar).

"C" Goal: Give 100%. I can't control jetlag, lack of sleep, crowds, legs feeling like shit for some reason, etc. This year at Shamrock I totally missed all my goals, but I gave it my all so I didn't dwell on it and actually felt good about the race. If you run hard you have nothing to be ashamed of.

1 comment:

  1. You call that "laughably flat"? What about that beast of a hill at the end?! ;)

    ReplyDelete