Friday, February 10, 2017

POST MIAMI REFLECTIONS

I had a great time in Miami this year. Even though I wasn't trained for the race, I actually enjoyed it. During the race towards the end I just wanted it to be over, but looking back I had a great time so it was no surprised when I registered for next year the day after. Hopefully I can be in better shape in 2018!

As for my knees, they responded really well to the run. There was no "flare" in sight! They are still weird and screwed up, but they didn't change much from their generally inflamed/sore baseline due to the race. Maybe a little more sore, but that was minor and only lasted a few days. About like how my knees would feel like they were normal. The thing that really bugged me was my hamstrings. Those were sore for DAYS. No surprise there, longer, slower runs always impact the hamstrings the most and I wasn't trained for this thing at all.

I'll see the rheumatologist on the 21st, so hopefully I am close to some answers. I still think the psoriatic arthritis is the best bet. I'm just hoping that whatever it is, it can be treated. I know you can't cure psoriatic arthritis, you basically have to take a pill the rest of your life, but that would be better than not being able to be active and having my joints damaged. So we'll see. I'm eager to just get an answer instead of having this be such a mystery. It's been almost nine months from when I decided to seek help and I still don't have an answer! Grrr!

Hopefully I can get back to jogging soon. I don't know if I'll be "running" again... the days of 1:40 halfs and 3:35 marathons might be over. I had my run. If I can just become a hobby jogger I'll be happy. I used running to keep me in shape and socialize, so if it can continue to serve that need, then perfect. Some of the most fun I've had at races are races where I just ran them for fun. Miami this year, the Rum Run last year, the Detroit Marathon once I blew up... all good times.

Anyways, we'll see where this all goes. For now, nothing until I see the rheumatologist!

No comments:

Post a Comment