Saturday, December 23, 2017

CHRISTMAS UPDATE

This was unintentional, I swear. Although, I might have to expand (heh) on this in a later run...
Sorry for the lack of updates! The week after the Holiday Half I didn't accomplish very much. I took the beginning of the week off to recover and then felt under the weather toward the end of it. I did accomplish one run on Thursday and then was planning to do 8 miles or so on the weekend. By the time it rolled around the weather was terrible and I still didn't feel too well. So I just skipped it. No harm taking one week after the race a little easy.

I did make it a point to go out there and get it done this last week though. My "slacker" week almost tainted me to the point where I was going to be lazy and start skipping runs again. I could see it all snowballing downhill! I ran on Monday with Matt at PRC and my body felt really slow and lethargic. I felt run down most the week actually. It's been really cold too so it's been hard to be motivated to get out there. So much easier to just sit inside. A few weeks of slacking couldn't hurt, right?

Anyways, I was able to find some time on Wednesday during my lunch to do a short run. I decided I needed to kick things in gear, so I went out and did a tempo run. Now, my focus is just getting back to regular running, so I haven't been focused at all on speed work, but I figured now was a good time to challenge myself and see where I was at. I ran three miles and gave it 100%. 7:58, 8:06, 8:04. First mile under 8:00 since the arthritis diagnosis! Felt good too. Definitely a hard run, but not impossible, and my body responded really well. So that was encouraging.

Thursday it was so cold outside the thought of running through the dark was really bothering me. I have to get past that. Instead, I went to the gym and did four easy miles on the treadmill. Dramatic of me, but whatever, I got my run in. And then today I accidentally run a phallic shaped route of 10.5 miles. I went off on my own around 9am and let me tell you, convincing myself to get out of bed to do that should have earned me an Olympic medal. But I did it! And I ran 10.5 miles at 9:49/mile pace. And my body felt good.

So I feel strong again! It is still very hard to get motivated to go out in the cold. That will continue to be a struggle, but I have to just keep fighting through it. I want to continue to be in shape for Miami at the end of January. Everything arthritis wise still feels fine. The leflunomide appears to be keeping it at bay, which is awesome. No more nasty side effects and continued joint relief. Here's to an awesome year of running in 2018!

No comments:

Post a Comment