Tuesday, July 31, 2018

END OF JULY TRAINING RECAP

One of many weekday runs with Sunstone Running Club.
Well, thought I should update everyone on how marathon training has been going. All told, it's been going pretty well! The training schedule really keeps me accountable, I'm going to hit my runs no matter what! If I have a run on Tuesday that I skip for some reason, you bet your ass I'm out there on Wednesday getting it done. No excuses, barring injury or sickness. Same with the long runs. Do I like waking up at 7am on Saturdays to run? Hell no. However, am I always glad I did it? Yes. The rest of the weekend free with no long run looming ahead is awesome!

As planned, I am hitting three runs on the weekdays. The plan is Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday, but sometimes I switch it up to Monday, Wednesday and Thursday depending on how my legs feel after the long run Saturday and Monday night run. With the increased mileage I'm definitely not feeling the need for speed, although I'm still trying to throw in a run here and there to try and keep whatever speed I have up. As, as planned, those have been sporadic as my main focus has been on getting the mileage in. So far, I've been able to build my mileage without issue, so I have to keep going with what's working.

In regards to long runs, those are going well. These were my main concern when I started marathon training... I felt confident my knees could handle 5-6 mile weekday runs at that point, the big question was whether or not they could handle the long distance weekend runs and resulting weekly mileage into the mid to high 30s. And so far so good! Last weekend I did 18 miles and my body held up very well. My legs were definitely tired by the end but nothing major at all. Better than I remembered feeling on most 18 milers. The next challenge will be 20 miles this weekend, but I'm not worried at all to be honest. It has been pretty smooth sailing to this point so another two miles shouldn't be too big of an issue (famous last words?).

One of many long runs with the Portland Marathon Clinic
My knees actually feel really awesome. Since I noticed the psoriatic arthritis at a low level for years in other areas (upper back, jaw) before being treated, it is reasonable to assume it was also in my knees at a lower level for a while. Perhaps some of the discomfort and soreness I felt during these long 16+ mile runs was actually the arthritis acting up a little. Or maybe I am just remembering it as worse than it was because the fact I am running 18 miles again kind of blows my mind. I think the real test will be in the chute after the marathon... I am 5 for 5 for being a complete shitshow as soon as the race finishes. I didn't understand how people could just be walking around and smiling after the race. Maybe, just maybe, when I finish this time, my legs won't immediately turn to jello and cramp up.

Honestly, they probably will revolt as usual because a marathon is a long freaking way. However, training is going well and I am confident I can finish it. That will be a huge accomplishment! I basically had to start from scratch after almost two years on the bench with no clue if I would ever be able to run again. So to be in the heat of marathon training feeling so good is awesome! Fingers crossed the next two months go as well as the previous two! 11 weeks down, 12 to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment