Friday, January 31, 2020

SOME RECENT SPEEDWORK

One of my goals this winter was to do speedwork every week. While I would give myself some grace if I was really creaky one week or something, I've actually been very good about getting out there at running some at a fast clip. I believe I lost a lot of speed last winter by not doing hardly any speedwork. My goal this spring is to hit the next major training cycle running and not spend so much time trying to get back to where I was. Now, to be clear, I have lost something, I don't think I have a 1:43 half in me like last July, but I think I could squeak out a 1:44:59 on the right day on the right course.

January 2nd, 4 mile Tempo Run

Weather was good for this one, 46 and overcast, and I was able to get home from work while it was still light outside, so I took advantage of that. I did my normal four mile "lollipop" route that has become a staple of winter running. The only problem with this course, or with just about any course near my house, is that it is decidedly not flat. So some splits you have to take with a grain of salt. However, I was able to run three solid miles before tiring a bit on the last. 7:54, 7:46, 7:39, 8:03. 7:50/mile overall average. Solid run!

January 7th, 3 mile Tempo Run

I was feeling a bit run down but still wanted to get some speed in, so I decided to do a three mile run and try to hit it a bit harder. 7:34 first mile. Alright! Probably the fastest mile I've ran since October. 7:50 second mile. Alright, falling off a little. Maybe I went out a little too fast? 7:57 final mile. Took everything I had to get that one under eight. 7:47/mile average... not bad for the way I was feeling, but I was hoping for a bit quicker.

January 15th, 8x400m Treadmill Intervals

Intervals were set to 6:56/mile and took 1:44 each. Not my fastest 400s, but I wanted to ease back into them and try not to pull a hammy or something. This was done indoors at the Planet Fitness treadmill and sweat was flying everywhere. Gross. Also, I was watching Jeopardy! during this run and it actually made it go by quickly. I concentrated on trying to answer the questions and that made the sprint intervals go much faster. Rest 400s were done at 10:00/mile.

January 23rd, 4mi Treadmill Tempo

Just over a week later I was back in the gym doing a tempo run. I don't like doing tempo runs outside when it is dark, much higher risk of tripping, so I ended up indoors doing this one. I set the treadmill to 7:56/mi and just went with it. The mental challenge of a treadmill is always hard, there is less to distract yourself with, so I was fine without pushing it even further. The main goal is to not lose a bunch of speed, and as long as I tick off sub eight minute miles, I'll achieve that.

January 31st, 8x400m Lollipop Tempo

Another chance to run outside during a weekday, so I took the opportunity to knock out some intervals. Now, these are on my "lollipop" course, so the actual intervals can vary wildly depending on the elevation profile of that specific 400m stretch. As long as I am giving a hard effort, I'm pleased. That being said, I had some pretty solid splits! I was most proud of my last interval, which was slightly uphill, clocking in at 1:38. That's 6:32/mile! Heck yeah! Worst interval was 1:53 going up a hill... that's 7:32/mile. Still not terrible. Heart rate is fun to look at on this one... maximum was 189!


No comments:

Post a Comment