Wednesday, September 28, 2022

2022 PORTLAND MARATHON RACE PREVIEW

From 2019, the last time I did the Portland Marathon. I was much faster back then!
Well, I was able to hit that twenty mile run without too much issue after the last post. It was long and hard (heh) but I was able to get it done. The weather that day was overcast and smoky, some people at Sunstone actually cut the run short because of the smoke. I did NOT have that option. I'm sure it was the equivalent of smoking a few packs, but it was doable. The weather definitely helped as well, after so many runs in the heat and sun, overcast in the low 70s was downright dreamy.

That run felt good enough that I didn't feel the need to do an "emergency" third 20 mile run the next weekend. I decided to do my usual wind down to 16 and then 10 the last weekend before the race. The sixteen was ran at a quicker pace (10:20) due to an old friend showing up, so it was a hell of a workout. I was definitely sore for a couple days after that. Anyways, despite the August lull discussed in the last post, I do feel about ready as I can be for the race on Sunday.

So what are my plans/goals for Sunday? Not much. Basically I want to finish. I do NOT have any time goals. With my fitness being where it is, there is no sense in pushing my pace at all. If I tried to push the pace and get 4:38... who cares. I could run it comfortably and finish in 4:53. To everyone but myself 4:38 and 4:53 are the same thing. Not very fast. Nobody gives a shit. So basically my goal is to run it comfortably and don't get wrapped into a race day "challenging" of myself.

I feel I'm about in the same shape as last year, maybe slightly less in shape if anything. I'm a year older and I had that huge hole in my August training. So I'm definitely not in better shape. However, I'm in the ballpark of last year, which I think means if I just go out and do my normal long run pace, I should be able to finish without too much issue. Hopefully, knock on wood.

Last year I ran a 4:43 and I felt suspiciously amazing. I've never felt like that during a marathon before. Even if I felt that way again, Portland is a harder course and naturally I would probably be about five minutes slower due to all the hills. So my time, best case, is going to clock in around 4:50. Talk about getting your money's worth! I'm not going to be finishing this thing until after noon (7:10am gun time). Fuck.

There you have it. My biggest goal is to run it at a comfortable pace and hopefully not walk. If I can run the whole thing, that would be great. If I have to take little walk breaks towards the end, then whatever, I still did a marathon. Basically I'll just go out for a little jog and by the time it hurts, hopefully I have less than an hour left. Then I'll just mindfuck my way to the finish line. Runners know what I mean.

Anyways, if you want to stalk me on Sunday, here is the link: LIVE RUNNER TRACKING

No comments:

Post a Comment