Saturday, March 26, 2005

Had a pretty good time on the sailboating trip. We were moving my dad's friends sailboat from Seattle to Olympia, where he's going to keep it from now on. So, we headed up about noon on Thursday and met in Olympia. We left my car and all took his up to Seattle, where we prepared the boat to go out the next day. We ate dinner out and went to bed at like ten (slept on the boat). It took me a while to get to sleep because:

1) Had been awake for only 10 hours
2) My dad and I were in a "sleeps two" compartment of the boat that was kind of tight.

The next day we got up at 7 and started to head out. We went about 10 feet before the engine stopped and we couldn't get it to restart. Anywho, we spent the next two hours fixing it, finally the guy whacked something in the engine with a big hammer and it seemed to fix whatever was the problem. We were out in the Sound by quarter after nine.

Little did I know before going, the journey was about 60 nautical miles (each of which are 1.15 normal miles) in a sailboat that motored at around 6 knots (nm per her). Do the math. Ten hours. It was fun for a while, got a little boring, but then, hey, we ate lunch! That occupied me for a while until I decided to take a nap (see dark green line). The rest of the day was just spent headed towards Olypmia, seeing the wonderful city of Tacoma from the water.

We got in about 6:00 at night and decided to eat at a nice little Italian place. The food was really good so we were all happy. We then took my car back up to Seattle (one hour) to get the other's guys car so he could go home. Anyways, that little jaunt added about 2.5 hours to the trip back, which totaled in at 5.5 hours. Good thing was I drove me car, so I got to drive while my dad sat. That makes a longer trip a lot more bearable. Oh, and in Washington top speed limit is 70mph, but everyone goes 10 over like normal, so let's just say we made good time.

Back here in Tualatin now, been home about an hour. I still feel like I'm rocking back and forth on a boat, tis annoying. Oh well, it was better than sitting inside because of the rain here I guess. The weather was sunny in the morning up in Seattle, but got overcast and drizzly in the afternoon.





Click for larger version.

No comments:

Post a Comment