Saturday, December 08, 2012

HOHO 5K GOALS AND PREVIEW

Quick post. I am doing a 5k on Sunday. It starts at Cook Park (like the Earth Day Run!) and that is about all I know about the route. The link to the route on the even website doesn't work and frankly it really doesn't matter. I'll just run wherever they tell me. It is called the HoHo 5k and I believe it is Christmas/Santa themed. Anyways onto my goals:

A Goal: Beat my 5k record of 21:45. Barring a miracle, this will not take place. The website does mention a lot of the course is on dirt/barkdust inside the park, which will be mushy and slow me down. Plus, I don't know what happened in Corvallis, but that magic is going to be hard to summon up again.

B Goal: Under 23 minutes. This one is more realistic. If I run hard, this is achievable in my current condition. Anything starting with a 22 would be pretty cool to be honest!

C Goal: Beat my Shamrock run time of 23:39. Really, this should be more of my "B" Goal, considering the shape I am in. Before and after Shamrock I was outside pounding 5ks at a 7:40 pace every day and making it look easy. Now, if I run a 5k I struggle to 8:30s. I would like to blame it on the hills around my place, but I think also the change to higher distances changed me too. I am still able to achieve fast times during races though.

To be honest, I don't know whether Corvallis was a fluke or not. I don't think I am capable of pounding that out for every 5k and especially this one, as I don't feel totally 100%. We'll see what happens though!

No comments:

Post a Comment