Thursday, August 15, 2013

AND I'M SICK...

Well, I am sick AGAIN. I got sick in Vegas, and then when that finally cleared, got sick again (which I blamed on cheese). For someone who used to brag about their immune system, 2013 has not been a banner year. This will be the third time I am going to have to hack and cough and decongest whilst in the middle of training runs. Oh joy.

Back when I was relatively inactive I hardly ever got sick. It pretty much happened once a year, and when it did, it was a doozy. I rarely just got the sniffles or anything, but when it was time for my "annual sickness" it would kick my ass. So far in 2013 I have gotten away from that pattern. Well, Las Vegas really was like the days of old, because that absolutely kicked my ass five ways to Sunday and back. Once I had conquered whatever stomach demon was inside of me though it transitioned to a head cold. Took me a couple of weeks to shake that. Then I got sick almost instantly again, another annoying head cold. Took a couple of weeks to shake that. Now, I basically think I have another cold (WTF it's summer). Three in a year!

Either a) I am slowly withering away and dying, or b) running more is changing my immune system. I am hoping for B. I have a theory that my body is now constantly recovering from my runs, especially during marathon training, and it can't really spend the time to fight all these little bugs and once in a while one takes hold. So while running is strengthening me and making me healthier in general, it is also leaving me susceptible to stupid little colds. I'm going to go with that theory over the declining immune system one. Just sucks to be sick.

All this has arrived just in time for a 21 mile run on Saturday. Wohoo! Alejandro and I will be running an out and back on the Springwater Corridor Trail and I'm going to make him slow his ass down. He is faster than me and his body recovers A LOT faster, so he's been running his training runs pretty much all at his marathon goal pace. He needs to adjust his goal if he's running 16 miles at 8:30 and feeling awesome. Anyways, I need to do my long runs at 9:30s or above, especially these longer ones, so my body can recover faster and I can continue to do good training. Anyways, I'll let you know how it goes!

1 comment:

  1. Being sick during marathon training sucks! I was sick when I ran the Detroit Marathon. I spent the entire week before the race doing every home remedy I could come up with to knock it out of me, but without luck.

    I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete