Wednesday, September 18, 2013

I'M GOING TO MIAMI


Like I mentioned, I will be going to Miami on Thursday and will be there through next Monday, flying back at 11pm at night. I have a friend who lives right on Miami Beach in a condo. I'm not sure what exactly we'll do, I'm leaving that to him (a couple other friends will be there too) so I'm just along for the ride. Two people on the trip are pretty broke so I'm guessing just a lot of bumming on the beach during the day and partying back at his place at night. Sounds good to me. Unlike the Oregon Coast, you can actually swim in their water! Plus, it'll be my first time swimming in the Atlantic Ocean.

The challenge on this trip will be getting my runs in. I'm determined to get a six mile run, which will probably be Friday. Then, I have to get my long run in, so I'll plan on doing that either Saturday or Sunday, whichever will work better with whatever we are doing. I'll end up going 12 miles, so it shouldn't be too bad. That's probably all the runs I will do. I do have visions of doing another run Sunday or Monday morning if I do my long run Saturday, but I'm not going to force myself to do that. I'm probably not going to feel super swift in the morning, so dragging my butt out the door for two runs should be enough of a victory.

Last time I was in Florida was 2005 for FBLA Nationals.
Tubby Thomas is back right in the white shirt and red tie
I've already mapped my routes and I'm really excited! My six mile run is just a little jaunt, some along the beach, the rest along Collins Avenue in Miami Beach. Shouldn't have too many car distractions. I thought Miami would have a paved boardwalk I could run on for miles, but no such luck. There are small strips of paved trail, but mostly the trails are sand. Sand running is hard and can easily lead to injuries, so I'm not even going to attempt that. My twelve mile run will be a adventure off Miami Beach onto something called the Venetian Islands... they look cool, so I'll be headed there and back.

Mostly I am worried about two things. First, getting lost. I've printed maps, gave myself turn by turn directions, and will have my phone with me. So I can't get too lost. I just get really annoyed when I can't find my way though, so hopefully it won't be too hard. Secondly, I am scared of the weather. It is very hot and humid there (duh) so I'll be battling that. Even at 8am it's almost 80 degrees with 90% humidity. Being that I am from Oregon, that might kill me. I think I'll try to get them done in the morning though before it gets too redonkulous.

This will probably be my last post until I am back from Florida early next week. I'll let you know how it goes unless an alligator gets me!

2 comments:

  1. Have fun :).
    I was in Fl this January. My hubs fell very ill so we did not do much at all.
    KeyWest can be fun if you like to do water activities.
    I hear there are lots of good malls a little out of Miami.
    agood luck for the run.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment! I had a blast and actually went to one of those giant malls outside the city (Dolphin Mall I think). It was A LOT bigger than any mall here!

    ReplyDelete