Wednesday, September 17, 2014

TIRED LEGS

Crap, that kid had good form... #jealous
Mid-week update... my legs are tired. They were obviously tired after the twenty mile brunch run and 10k race the day after. I took that whole next week pretty easy and then did another twenty last Saturday. My legs are still tired from all those miles though. On Monday at run group the 9:15/mile pace felt harder than it should have. That should be a stroll. It wasn't.

I did loosen up toward the end of the run, but still, the thought of going 7:55/mile for 26 miles is unthinkable. I know my legs are just tired though. Good tired. They don't hurt during the day or anything, so they aren't injured, they just don't have a lot of juice or pep when I go to run. I've experienced this many times before and it's just kind of something you have to work through when marathon training.

Tonight at run group I'm going to try to hit a marathon pace run for seven miles. I know it's going to suck getting started, but after a couple miles I should warm up and have it not be too terrible. Often times when I am feeling like this an "easy" run just kind of perpetuates the status quo... it's surprising that a harder run can make my legs feel fresher, but it often does. Kind of like I'm Forrest Gump and the fatigue is those legs braces he runs off as a kid. Run Thomas, run!

Anyways, we are getting close to race day now and I have the speed in me, so I don't need to push things unnecessarily. At that same time though, I can't use that as an excuse to slack off the last few weeks. It would be really easy to do that. Come October 5th my success will be largely based on the body of work I did in training... I'm hoping to make that some quality work here the next week or two before tapering.

2 comments:

  1. I kinda feel the same way sometimes with the status quo. That speed work seems scary until you go out and do it and you feel great afterwards!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the Forrest Gump reference. My very favorite movie of all time! I have a funny video of Jerry (pre-weight loss) immitating Forrest as he runs and the braces fall apart. Your tired legs now will help you push through during the race!

    ReplyDelete