Monday, February 23, 2015

EVERYTHING I THOUGHT IT COULD BE AND MORE

Not running is great! I don't know why I didn't try this sooner! So much more free time and energy! Seriously though, I am not kidding all that much. I'm really enjoying my time off and don't miss running one lick. I was never really in love with it in the first place, I liked races and challenging myself, but the day to day battle of getting myself out the door was not very fun.

One of the problems is I am always running after work when I'm tired or on the weekends when I am running long distances. There are very few runs when I actually get to enjoy myself. These would be early afternoon runs at easy paces and not great distances. Unfortunately, barring my office getting a shower and me ditching all time goals, these runs will continue to be rare.

Anyways, I learned to tolerate running, build my social life around it, and have fun at races. So I'm not going to quit or anything. However, this time off has certainly answered the question of whether or not I would miss it if I did. The answer is loud and clear no. I had a lot of runner friends predict I'd be itching to get out there, get restless, cut my break early, etc. Nope. I've barely even thought about it, too busy enjoying my free time and not feeling like my legs are going to fall off.

One more week of freedom. I can already tell my legs feel much better but there is still some healing to go. I have a massage scheduled tomorrow and I can't wait for that. It will be my first ever professional massage. Should feel great. That, coupled with seven more days of rest, should lead to a pretty refreshed Thomas when I return to the pavement March 2nd. With Daylight Saving Time starting on the 8th, I should start feeling a lot more positive about this whole running thing.

1 comment:

  1. Yeesh! I didn't realize how far behind I'd gotten on blog reading. I'm super proud that you stuck with taking two weeks off. I honestly didn't think you'd make it! But I didn't realize how much you disliked running (in the way that I do). I really hope that you feel a million times better when you run again!

    ReplyDelete