Friday, July 10, 2015

2015 CASCADIA BEER MILE PREVIEW

I don't understand why this isn't more popular.
Before I get into tonight's big race, I'd like to mention that last night I actually went to the track and did intervals. Didn't really plan on that, but I wanted to run (I've been slacking to three days a week and wanted four) and I haven't done any sort of speedwork except races in forever. With my legs finally feeling decent I decided to take advantage of the cooler weather (only 80!) and go run some laps.

It had been almost eleven months since I last stepped onto a track and did intervals. I was kind of excited to mix things up and the workout actually flew by. I just did a basic 8x400m workout with 400m rests. My times were: 1:40, 1:38, 1:38, 1:38, 1:37, 1:38, 1:38, 1:33. Pretty freaking consistent and then I hit the last one hard. 1:38 is a 6:32/mile average pace, which wasn't bad. A little slower than my peak, but not by much. Looking back a 1:35 average over 8 intervals was my best.

So tonight is year two of the beer mile. There is no reason I can think of that I will have a better time this year over last year. Last year I was faster and my drinking hasn't improved at all either. You think with all the slacking off I've done my drinking abilities would have gotten better. Anyways, the only thing in my favor will be experience. I know what to expect this year. I'm not sure if that's an advantage though. You have to drink a beer and run... it's not very complicated!

One strategy I think I'll employ this year is smaller sips. Trying to chug the beer in one go was not a good plan. I got about halfway though the first one and I thought my stomach was about to explode. I think big sips very quickly will get me the best time and be most sustainable over the course of the race. This also allows me to burp during the drinking so I don't have to do it so much while running. I also think I'll try to push the running a bit during my first and second laps... bank a little time, if I can, before my stomach is too iffy to actually run fast.

GOALS:

"A" Goal: Beat last year's time! Under 11 would be awesome, but I only have to get a 11:03 or less to do this. I don't see why I would be much slower than last year, my running hasn't dropped of that much.

"B" Goal: There will be no C goal because this is a freaking beer mile. If I don't PR, then whatever. The whole point is just to have fun. My drinking times should be similar, I'm hoping to shave a few seconds off there, but my running times might be a little slower. We'll see. Not going to worry about it!

I plan to time each split, drinking and running, just like last year... so be prepared for over the top analysis next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment