Thursday, July 30, 2015

SHIN SPLINT SCARE

Monday I ended up running TWELVE miles. I took off work a little early so I could run from my house to PRC. If I ran my usual 6.5 miles Monday at PRC and then ran back home I'd hit 12 miles almost perfectly. While I wasn't eager to do it, I did feel some sort of obligation given that I didn't run at all the previous weekend while I was camping. Also, a lunch at Buffalo Wild Wings that Monday left me feeling fat, so that might have had something to do with it.

It was fairly uneventful until about mile seven or so. I started developing what felt like a shin splint when running. It was most odd because I only really had shin splints when I first started running or once in a blue moon while doing speedwork. Getting one while running 9 minute miles? Unheard of. I was really uncomfortable running because I was burping up my lunch, so I don't quite recall how much my shin was actually hurting. It was certainly noticeable and highly uncomfortable.

The next morning my shin hurts like crazy. Way worse than any shin splint before. I immediately fear a stress fracture. I do some movements to try to determine if perhaps this is the case. They all come back negative, which is a relief. If anything the front of my leg feels a little swollen. Katie, from Runs for Cookies, sends me some really good information on shin splints... from what I can tell I have a muscular related shin splint, which are fairly rare (only 10%, the other 90% are skeletal). So I read up some more on those and I'm pretty sure that's what I have.

Wednesday and my leg still feels bad. No improvement really. Shin splint starts to act up after a few steps. If I walk long enough, it will fade, but usually comes back after a while. I'm still pretty concerned. The pain is pretty bad when it acts up... to the point where I am limping badly and want to stop walking.

Today... Thursday... there is still a little swelling but no noticeable pain. I've been walking a bit and haven't had it flare up. It is so much better today. I'm feeling much better... it derailed this week of training (haven't ran since Monday and I think I want to give it another day at least), but long term it still looks like all my marathon plans are on. It was quite the scare and came out of nowhere. I hope it doesn't resurface!

No comments:

Post a Comment