Monday, August 31, 2015

TRADITIONAL MONDAY REPENT RUN

From Hood to Coast this weekend. Needless to say, I'm glad I didn't run it this year!
That picture above is from the Hood to Coast relay this last weekend. Runners certainly got an experience to remember. The storm at the coast was so bad (70mph+ winds) they to move the finish line and there was no after party. Everything they had set up on the beach was pretty much blown away and destroyed. Quite literally the opposite of the year I did it, when we were greeted with an unseasonably warm and sunny beach at the finish.

None of my tickets won... surprise.
Thursday night I went to the Discovery Run at Road Runner Sports in Tualatin. Another month, another event of not winning for Thomas. I've also noticed that the distance between the checkpoints has greatly decreased from last year. The first time I ran it last year I did 6.25 miles to hit all the checkpoints. This last Thursday I hit all the checkpoints in three miles and about only a half hour of running. Maybe they were getting complaints from walkers/slower runners about the distance? Regardless, I can't really make this a "quality" run anymore, so I'll just have to run it for fun, which I have been doing.

This weekend I went camping for my birthday. Originally I was going to do it the weekend of August 14-16th, but that ended up being Laurel's wedding weekend, so I moved it to this last weekend. Unfortunately that meant we lost a few campers due to Hood to Coast, but also picked up one or two. It was a pretty laid back weekend. We missed the wild weather up north on the coast and in Portland but still had a few sprinkles at night and overcast conditions during the day. Not the usual sunny and beautiful weather we expect in Roseburg during August.

Not that it kept me from swimming or anything, but it was still a bummer. Camping was still great though. One thing I didn't do was run. I was planning on it, even packed my stuff, but it never happened. I think I knew I had an "out" by just running 12 miles on Monday (I was only going to run 12 in Roseburg anyways) so I just put it off. I did end up running twelve miles today, running from my house to PRC, then the normal 6.5 miler at PRC, then back home. Unlike the last two "my bad" 12 mile runs on Monday after a weekend of inactivity, this one went quite well. I averaged 8:50/mile and felt strong. No random shin splints or over the top body fatigue.

No comments:

Post a Comment