Monday, March 07, 2016

LAST LONG RUN BEFORE SHAMROCK

A scene from the run with Sunstone on Saturday. I'm ahead just past the bridge in the blob of folks.
Another positive week of running. After that hilly ten mile run with Sunstone my legs felt pretty good, which was encouraging. I believe I didn't go to PRC on Monday because it was raining (man, I am getting weak) and decided to go run at the gym instead. Thankfully, Katie wanted to run too and met me at the gym. It was good to have company, because five miles on the treadmill is torture. That is probably the farthest I have ever gone on a treadmill. Not a fan. Anyways, I did a leisurely pace, just a tick under 10:00/mile overall, but still the run seemed to drag on.

Power tunnel!
Recently I started a new job, which is a lot like my old job, except for more money. Anyways, I had training this week up in Seattle which meant I would have to do my mid week run on my own. I packed my stuff but half expected myself to just skip it knowing training would probably wear me out. Unfortunately, I got into a conversation with the training leader about running (she also runs), and pretty much committed myself to running after the training because I said I was "thinking about it" and she was all like "oh, you'll do it, you're a runner." And I'm like "ugh."

Long story short, I'm glad she said that, because I ended up running. Would have totally skipped it otherwise. I had visions of running outside in a new place, which is always fun, however by the time the training was over it was pouring outside and I couldn't find a great route that I didn't have to drive in Seattle rush hour to. I ended up running at the hotel fitness room, which had super nice treadmills. TVs right in the treadmill with full DirecTV and they felt spongy and soft or something. Fancy.

I figured I needed a tempo run, plus I wanted to be done as soon as humanly possible, so I did 7:54/mile for three miles. That's the pace I need to pace Katie from Runs for Cookies at in a month and I'm happy to report the run went really well. It was a challenging run but totally doable. As long as I stay injury free, there will be no problem pacing her for 6.22 miles. That is an encouraging feeling, because not long ago I was seriously questioning whether or not I could get there. Luckily my years of running have paid off and I've been able to get some of my speed back.

Laurel!
Also on my trip I was able to see Laurel! So that was super fun! I met her both nights after training for dinner and we ate at two very yummy places. I also briefly got to see where she worked. It was fun to catch up. I really wish we lived closer! The first night we went to a place called Joey and I had a chicken sandwich and shared some calamari. It was good! The next night was even better, as we went to a burger bar called The Tipsy Cow where her friend worked. So delicious! My burger was covered in blue cheese and was heavenly.

Saturday I ran with Sunstone again. Another fun run. Another almost ten miles (if I have one complaint, the routes have been short a tenth or two both weeks). This route wasn't as hilly as the week before, but it still had some hills. My legs didn't feel as good as last week and for a second it was slightly concerning. That ten miles felt harder than it should have been. After the run though, my legs came back pretty well and I only had slight residual soreness. So a positive there. Next weekend is 15k of hills at Shamrock... ready or not, here I come.

2 comments:

  1. Katie4:16 PM

    At least you've been running some hills. Last time I ran a hill? Zena!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait... you were questioning whether YOU could pace ME at the 10K? Oh, please. I'm super nervous! I'll be dying the whole time while you're just jogging along like it ain't no thang.

    ReplyDelete