Monday, February 29, 2016

GEARING UP FOR SHAMROCK

At the top of the giant hill on our route. Can you spot me?
I'm happy to report this last week has been pretty successful in terms of getting my legs back. I only ran three times, but it was 21 miles, which is the most since the week of the Miami Marathon. The goal is to cautiously get back to decent running shape. I may end up only running three times a week until I start marathon training again this summer (assuming I run the Portland Marathon again). There is no hurry on my part to start running much more than twenty miles a week.

Monday: Monday I ended up running the rollercoaster at PRC with Matt like I planned. This was the first time running this route in a couple of months, so it was good to get back at it. I didn't want to push the pace so we ran 9:25/mile average. Not bad for that hilly route! I did some stretching and massage when I got home and then took a hot bath. My legs felt pretty decent the next day, so that was encouraging.

Thursday: I couldn't make PRC on Wednesday, so Thursday I was determined to get a run in. I knew I was going to be doing a hilly long run on the weekend, so I wanted to make sure this run was of the easier/shorter variety. I modified my winter route from my house to be four miles and just took it easy. Averaged a hair over 10:00/mile. It was a very mild and dry night, which led to an overall pleasant run.

My arch nemesis.
Saturday: This run staring me in the face was kind of freaking me out. Matt and I decided to join a local running group (Stonestone Running Group) for their weekly long run. They often meet near us in Beaverton and are a closer option than Coach Jim. They are a very friendly lot and I'll definitely be back for some long runs. The reason I was freaking out was the route... the powerline parks trail near by house. The last time I ran this was last April, and it kicked my ass (like it does every time).

Thankfully, this run went really well! It was only ten miles, which definitely helped coming back over that giant hill a second time. A lot different summiting that at mile 8 versus mile 14. We also ran a more casual pace, about 9:55/mile, which was nice. I actually had a pretty decent time. I was worried about my legs but they seemed okay not only during the run, but after.

My plans this week are about the same. I'd like to get some speedwork in, maybe Thursday or Friday. Shamrock is now less than two weeks away and I'd like to beat my time at Zena if at all possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment