Thursday, February 04, 2016

2016 ZENA ROAD RUNS RACE GOALS

What a fine looking group of people, I must say!
One of my favorite races is upon us! When Libbie and I signed up for this race back in 2013 I didn't really know what to expect. That year I was doing my first 15k with Shamrock and the hills were scaring me. I decided to do a race in preparation and Zena fit the bill. You never know quite what to expect when the race is only $10 (at the time, $15 now), but I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. This event is just pure running at its finest... no medals, no theme, no loud music blasted over speakers... just an accurate course, an accurate time, free photos (!), and snacks after. Perfect.

The course is the same as always, so I'll link to the 2013 preview I did here if you want to go back and read that. The elevation chart makes it look like miles two and three and hillier than they actually are. Now, don't get me wrong, they definitely "trend upward," but the majority of work is done during that first mile. If I am able to get that first mile done in under 9:00 I'll be happy. Each of the last two times it has been around 8:30, but I was also in better shape in both 2013 and 2015.

The next two miles are rolling uphill but I hope to do them somewhere in the low 8s. 8:15ish maybe. If I can get through the first three miles averaging around 8:30/mile I'll set myself up for a decent time because the next three miles are gently downhill. Mile six starts to flatten out and even has a small hill at the end but overall these three miles are fast. Last year I ran them all under 7:00/mile! Holy crap! Not happening this year. If I hit sub 7:30 on all of them I will be happy. I do need to take advantage of these three miles though, they are fast and I should still be fresh enough to attack them.

From Zena last year... looking good!
And finally we have the final three mile stretch. The theme? Rolling hills. I remember last year almost looking forward to the hills though after the pounding my legs took during the downhill section. Anything to use a slightly different group of muscles. My goal this year will be to run these around 7:45ish. Hopefully I will still have some spring in my step. I do like that you can see the finish from sort of far away in this race... normally that would be a tease, but I have found that to be motivating over the years. It's okay to kill yourself over the last little bit because you know it'll be over soon.

Should be a fun time. I'll be going down with Matt, Katie, and Glenn so it will be a PRC party. I'm eager to give it a run for its money and see where I fall fitness wise. It will most likely be a PW at the distance, but that's alright as long as I try my best (man, I've been saying that a lot lately, ha).

"A" Goal: 1:12:54 or less. This is 7:49/mile and avoids a PW. I gotta be honest with you... I don't think I have quite the fitness to do this. If I have a good race it might be close. This is definitely a best case scenario and a time I would be thrilled with.

"B" Goal: 1:14:25 or less. This is 7:59/mile. I think sub 8:00/mile is a good goal for this race given that I just ran a flat half marathon at 8:15/mile. This is doable, but it's going to take a good, hard race. If I hit this time, I'll be more than satisfied.

"C" Goal: 1:19:59 or less. This is 8:35/mile. This winter I've barely run any hills. Normally I'm running hills all winter but this winter I have been injured or in the gym. I think I ran the rollercoaster at PRC once this entire winter. I really fear these hills are going to kick my ass. The fact that the tiny hill back over the causeway in Miami hurt my calves... not a good sign. Ignorance is bliss.

No comments:

Post a Comment