Tuesday, April 25, 2017

FOLLOW UP APPOINTMENT

Alright, had my follow up appointment with the rheumatologist this morning. Due to my condition getting slightly better overall but nowhere near where it needs to be, we are going to try the following:

  • Switch to injectable methotrexate
  • Increase dosage to 20mg a week from 15mg

The injectable form of methotrexate is fully absorbed unlike the oral dose, so really my doctor said it was like 22.5mg of the oral tablets. So I'll essentially be increasing my weekly "smack" against the inflammation by 50%. The injectable form will also get rid of the stomach issues I often feel the day after taking it. So that's good.

One negative is that I have to give myself shots! I don't know how to do that! A nurse walked me through it and it's simple enough, but popping pills is a lot easier. Oh well. I'll just have to not be a baby and nut up. Not a fan of shots but also not someone who totally freaks out - just the ol' grimace and never look at what's happening method. Not sure I can do that here.

Oh yeah, give me the good stuff.
Some other notes... the doctor thinks I can get back to feeling more or less normal once we get the dosing correct. So I'm hoping that can be the case! If the increased amounts of MTX don't do the trick, then they can introduce another drug into the mix. Hopefully it doesn't have to come to that. The end of the road should be relief though, so just got to keep chugging along. Since my case is relatively mild we shouldn't have to use any of the hard hitting drugs.

I also mentioned my colds and sickness. She seems to think these weren't related to the MTX. A little side eye there, but hopefully it was just an unusual occurrence and I won't be sick 35% of my life moving forward.

Two weekends ago (aka 9 days) I scrubbed my deck to get it ready for wood treatment. I was out there for three to four hours bending over, kneeling, scrubbing, etc. And that pretty much hobbled me all week. The knees have not been very fresh feeling. So it's not just impact activities that are making them angry, it's simple things like that. I remember when they blew up after using the elliptical. So onward for answers we search.

No comments:

Post a Comment