Tuesday, January 10, 2006

So, what you ask, did I do over Winter Break? Well besides going home to decent food and my own room, I worked at Precision Wire again. I was offically hired to "spearhead" the move of Inventory upstairs. Right now Inventory is on the production floor in a cage, so it's taking up valuble space that could be used for machines. Apparently we grew 40% next year, so we needed to really expand our production capability.

Basically they are converting a large storage room to the new cube farm/inventory. It is located upstairs. The plan was for me to clear the area so they could build the new room and then help to move Inventory up there once they had finished.

I started on the Monday after finals week. Kathy, the head of inventory, also commissioned me to design the new layout of the Inventory area. So I was given the blueprints to the new upstairs and told to design the new inventory. That was the fun part... moving crap wasn't. I spent most of that week surveying the new area and plotting what I would do with it. Towards the end of the week I began to clear the area so the contractors would be able to build. By Friday I had much of the area cleared, however I was told I didn't need to be finished by the following Friday.

When I come in on Monday I am told that I needed to be finished by Wednesday, as the contractor was able to build earlier. Okay, whatever, I still have two days right? Wrong. I get upstairs to start moving some of the old cubicles (heavy as hell) and am instructed by the head hancho of the company that it needs to be cleared by today. Wha? So basically it went from five days to one day in about an hour or so.

Anyways, they got a team of workers from the machine shop and we were able to clear the area by the deadline. This area was basically filled with old crap... old computers, old boxes, old desks... basically their dumping ground. And we just shoved it into another corner was all. Work on the new inventory area began on time on Tuesday.

The rest of that week I continued to design the new inventory area. You must be thinking this took a really long time? Well, a few complications occurced that needed to be resolved. They varied from the blueprint somewhat and introduced some pipes/beam into the new area. So I had to take that into account. Besides, I was doing it in ZModeler... that's right. Might seem cheese-o-licious to you all but they were very impressed at PWC (basically because they could twirl it around in 3-D).

The next week was shortened to three days due to Christmas and New Years... so I just helped out in inventory and did random projects. Last week they completed construction on the new rooms so I helped hang some shelves and stuff like that. They weren't able to move Inventory yet, so that will take place sometime in the next few months. Oh well, I didn't like that manual labor crap anyways.

Here are some pics:


3-D view of the new inventory.


Top view of the new inventory.


So yeah, basically that's it. Next summer when/if I work there I'm going to be sure it's something a little more interesting and not just random jobs/projects/move-this shit-over-here/throw-this-crap-away/shine-my-shoes, etc, etc, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment