Friday, June 13, 2014

DEALING WITH THE PRESS

Part of the waterfront loop I ran on Monday.
After my 5k win last weekend I have been hounded by local radio, TV, and newspapers for interviews. Just kidding. Nobody gives a shit about me winning a tiny local 5k and they shouldn't. I did get my name mentioned in the Run Oregon blog though, which is cool. That is kind of the go to place for local runners to find out the haps with upcoming races and events. I forgot to mention the 10 year old girl running the 23:09 5k and being the top female... crazy. I overheard her talking to her mom before the race and saying she was shooting for under 27. Way to crush it kid.

This week has been a unique week in terms of running. My bowling league was moved to Monday night (just this week) which meant I had to skip my PRC run. I always hate doing that because it means I have to do it on my own at sometime else. I ended up running Monday night anyways, just earlier and from my office. It was actually a pretty fun run, I ran from my building down to the Portland waterfront and did two loops on the Steel to Hawthorne Bridge loop. Ended up being a 10k and then I "bathed" in the sink and went to bowling league.

Tuesday is usually my day off, but not this week. I was going to have to take Wednesday off to go to the Timbers game, so I had to run on Tuesday to make sure I got at least three weekday runs in. I wasn't feeling my normal 10k route, so instead I ventured to Hyland Forest Park and did four loops there. Between those loops and the run there and back it was six total miles. Very peaceful run in the forest... I love that it is so close. I have to learned not to care about my pace in there though as the trees obscure the GPS and it can't really pick up my finer movements.

After taking Wednesday off for the Timbers game I ran on Thursday after work. I really felt like I needed a speed session since, you know, it had been five whole days since I last hauled ass. I couldn't face an "entire" tempo run though, so instead I did "street intervals," running my usual 10k route but alternating between around 9:00/mile and 6:30/mile every quarter mile. I ended up running 12 fast 400 meter sections. Went well. Seemed like all the fast sections were uphill in the 2nd part of the run though. Overall it was a good run and I felt awesome afterward.

This weekend I'll run somewhere between 12 and 14 miles for my long run. Still haven't quite decided where, when, or with whom I'll be doing that. Play it by ear. Then the Bald Peak Half Marathon next weekend and then officially starting Portland Marathon training after that.

No comments:

Post a Comment