Wednesday, November 05, 2014

SLEEPY ADJUSTMENT

Hopefully it won't be 18 degrees again?
I had plans to run twelve miles on Saturday but one thing messed with those... me sleeping in again. Two weeks ago I slept twelve hours and had to reduce my run from 12 to 10 miles in order to make a Portland State football game. This weekend I slept 13 hours (!) and reduced the run from 12 to 8 miles in order to make the Oregon State football game.

Whatever though. I ran 14 miles the week in between there and have been hitting all my other runs. I am not currently marathon training, so it's all gravy. I won't have a long run this weekend because I have a race coming up on Sunday and want to stay fresh for that. I'll have a preview of that race on Friday or Saturday. Next weekend I'll get back on track in terms of double digit runs on the weekend.

Some exciting news... Brandon agreed to do the HoHo 5k with me again this year! I didn't expect him to say yes, but after some contemplation he agreed to do it. I assured him it was only 3.1 miles (2.9 actually if they don't change the course) and that seemed to soothe his concerns. He knows I do mostly longer races and is always concerned the race will be longer. That should be fun! Our focus will be to beat last year's time.

Also starting to adjust to the wintery weather. It's honestly not that bad yet, most runs the temperature is still in the mid-50s and I've only been rained on a couple times. Just slowly accepting reality and enjoying the challenge the winter route brings... lots of hills that should get me prepared for Shamrock this spring. They are still kicking my ass a little, I can tell I've lost some hill fitness, but I'm slowly improving. My hamstrings no longer are sore after doing the seven mile route!

4 comments:

  1. That's awesome that Brandon wants to do the run again! I'm sure he looks up to you and wants to make you proud :) It kind of scares me that YOU feel like you need to "prepare" for hilly Shamrock. It's that bad?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it's no that bad if your goal is to just finish! When you have history on the course and keep wanting to beat your previous time and hills are currently kicking your ass... then one feels the need to prepare. ;)

      Delete
    2. My goal is to finish and not walk the hills... it may be slow going, but I'm up for a challenge!

      Delete
  2. That is great that Brandon is doing the race again. As for winter training, I would kill for mid 50s! hahaha

    ReplyDelete