Friday, October 31, 2014

JACKASS MOTIVATION

Recently I've been in somewhat of a funk due to the weather. It seems to went straight from summer to winter. Really, the weather isn't too cold yet, still mostly in the high 50s, it has been the rain and darkness that has bothered me most.

Run group really helps keep me accountable. It's the runs by myself that I really dread. Like last week, when I chickened out and ran inside for no good reason (although, it did result in a good tempo run). I was struggling again this week with my Thursday run. At different times I put off the entire thing to Friday, would just do three Thursday and then three Friday, run during work Friday instead, not run at all, etc.

Eventually I decided that was all stupid and I would just run Thursday after work like I was supposed to. Friday was Halloween and I didn't watch to dodge children and get smart ass "are you dressed like a runner?" jokes I got last year after taking off for a run after I ran out of candy to pass out at my house. So I ended up getting out there like I should have. Don't know what it always has to be such a battle in my mind.

Anyways, long story short, I was just going to run easy the day after the rollercoaster, but right before I left work I talked to an client on the phone who was just a giant asshole. That rarely happens, I can't even remember the last time something at work left me fired up, I'm normally a mellow guy and my job just doesn't usually have that quality to it. But that motherfucker really pissed me off! Gah! What a jackass!

Ended up using that as fuel to pound out a tempo run on my hilly "home course." It was sprinkling rain and 58 and the run was actually really therapeutic. I basically swore at him for fifty minutes as I ran around the dark and wet. When I was done I felt really good and I got a quality run in. I was over the work thing and the tough run actually left me feeling energized and motivated.

Fuck that guy, but maybe he should call more often?

3 comments:

  1. Yeeah, I know the very clients you speak of, lol. Some people get perverse pleasure out of being rude for some reason. I am actually the opposite with the weather. I experience severe depression during the summer, but as soon as the cool temps and rain roll in, it's literally like a weight is lifted. Maybe reverse SAD is a thing, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I get that too with the occasional customer. I just remember Randal's line from the movie Clerks, "This job would be great if weren't for the fucking customers." It sure is hard to get motivated when it is dark and dreary out. Just keep plugging away and you'll get through it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always seem to run faster when I'm pissed off. Great job getting it done, even though you weren't exactly looking forward to it! ;)

    ReplyDelete