Saturday, October 04, 2014

ONE DAY - 2014 PORTLAND MARATHON PREVIEW

Course is the same as last year.
This preview will be a little less extensive than the one I wrote last year. If you're looking for a more detailed breakdown of the course and whatnot, take a look at my preview last year. The course this year hasn't changed at all and every assumption I made about the course in that basically proved itself to be true on race day.

Instead, I'll focus more on my strategy. Last year I started with the 3:40 pace group, got antsy a few miles in, then ran past the 3:35 pace group and almost caught up to the 3:30 group. I ended up fading a bit toward the end, not too bad, but I had the 3:35 group re-pass me and finished in 3:36.

The strategy this year will be to stick near the 3:25 pacer. I don't expect or even want to try to get a sub 3:25, so honestly that is not even a secret goal. I just want to bank a few minutes over the course of 22 miles or so for the last few miles. I don't trust myself to maintain a steady pace for the entire 26.2 miles so the plan is to keep the 3:25 pace group close as long as I can. I think I'll let them be 20 feet ahead of me or so, that way I can pace appropriately. If I get in front of them I might speed up without realizing it.

If I can get to the downhill on Greeley around mile 22 with them still within reach, then my main goal of sub 3:30 is very possible. At that point I just have to survive the downhill until mile 24 and then buck up for 2.2 more miles. Assuming my legs and body feel the same as last year, that is doable. I just have to avoid the Vancouver-like mile 22 crash. During that race I was pretty much doing a 3:25 marathon until I fell apart... I am in better shape now, so hopefully I can keep it together.

Nutrition and hydration plan remains the same. Two packs of Shot Bloks will be consumed over the course of the race. I think I'll eat two at miles 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, and 18. I'll briskly walk through every aid station and alternate electrolyte drink and water. They also pass out gummy bears and pretzels at some stations, so I'll eat those too. Basically just keep eating and drinking even if I don't want to... I'll need it. Hopefully the pace groups will slow down for the aid stations... I don't remember what the protocol was with that last year.

So yeah, that's pretty much it! I'll grab a pace band at the expo for a 3:30 marathon and obviously I'll have my watch on me as well. I'd like to just zone out and follow a pace group, but if I need to start pacing myself I'll be able to do so. My parents and aunt will be in the same place as last year around mile 17.5, so that will be fun to see them again. A co-worker also wants to show up and cheer around mile 23, so we'll see if that happens and if he is able to spot me.

Kind of just want the race to be here already so I don't have to have it looming in the background anymore. It will be nice to get to a point one day where they aren't this big of a deal. That day is not here yet.

GOALS:

"A" Goal: Sub 3:30. That is the focus for this marathon. I'm not going to get caught up in sub 3:30 or bust, but I feel like my training and current level of fitness make this an attainable, yet challenging, goal.

"B" Goal: New PR. That would mean I am still getting faster. Current PR is 3:33:16. Would be a little disappointed to miss my A goal by only a few minutes, but hey, a PR in a marathon is nothing to sneeze at. You never know how race day is going to go.

"C" Goal: Sub 4:00 finish. Honestly, finishing a marathon in under 4 hours is pretty good. So even if the wheels fall off and it's just not my day, I can be proud of this. Hell, I could be proud of a sub 5 hour marathon. As long as I move my ass 26.2 miles I have nothing to be ashamed of.

1 comment: