Thursday, October 02, 2014

THREE DAYS - TRAINING RECAP


Well, the forecast got a little hotter for Saturday... only one degree, but certainly seeing marathon day start with an "8" isn't the most reassuring. At least the predicted low also went down 1 degree as well? Honestly I've been training all summer in much hotter temperatures, so I'm hoping it won't get too hot by 10:30am and I'll be able to ride through it.

My training this cycle went really well. The feeling that I am out of shape or not ready for the marathon are completely without merit. This training cycle included more miles than my previous two marathon cycles. The twenty mile runs were easier, although still not easy. I did a shit-ton more speedwork this time around, even if it tapered off a little toward the end. I just ran a 20:28 5k... 11 months ago my 5k PR was 21:08.

The last thirteen weeks of training I ran 465 miles (35.8 per week). That compares to 428 miles for Vancouver and 422 miles last year for Portland. In the last six weeks I averaged 36.5 miles per week... that is over three more miles than for Vancouver (33.3) and more than five per week than Portland last year (31.2)!

I really think I'm ready to go! I did my last taper run last night and I was very serious about making it easy. 3.11 miles at 10:15/mile. Total shuffle but that is exactly what I wanted. Really funny because at 3.10 miles I tried to roll my left ankle. No harm done, but I was honestly kind of close to screwing something up 0.01 miles from the marathon start line! Anyways, my legs already feel kind of refreshed and I still have a few days before the race. I should be good to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment