Friday, January 30, 2015

2015 MIAMI HALF MARATHON RACE RECAP

At the start line, ready to go!
I flew into Miami on Thursday this year, a day earlier than last year. Unfortunately flying to Miami takes the vast majority of the day, and couple that with a delayed flight and I didn't get in until almost 11pm. The only thing I don't like about this trip is the travel... flying to Miami and back is quite the journey!

Anyways, my friend and I had a low key Friday and Saturday. I was able to get a shake out run in on Friday (5 miles) to try and adjust a little to the hotter weather. We went to the expo on Saturday and got our packets. Last year I managed to get 90 minutes of sleep before this race, this year I was able to get three hours. Chalk that up to the extra day of adjustment I guess. Still, I was up at 1:30am Pacific Time to catch the shuttle to the start line.

Everything was really similar this year, the only difference was the weather. 75 and humid last year, it was 55 and not so humid this year. It was really perfect running weather. Had I had this weather last year, I would have gotten the PR I was shooting for and then some. This year I wasn't in quite as good of half marathon shape and ended up running the race at about 95% effort.

I talked to my friend and he really wanted me to run the race at my pace. He was already worried about how he was going to do and didn't want to have to feel like he was holding me back or boring me by me hanging back with him. That, coupled with the weather, and I was back to running the race hard by myself. However, like I planned, I just took it easier and tried to enjoy the race rather than kill myself and set a PR. There are other times and places for that.

MILES 1-4: OVER THE WATER INTO MIAMI BEACH (7:58, 7:34, 7:43, 7:38)

Toward the beginning, feeling good!
As you can see from that first mile time, I wasn't killing myself in this race. The crowded start last year had me frantically moving from side to side, darting past people and trying to keep pace. This year I was much more relaxed about it, I didn't try to get stuck behind people, but I wasn't going to kill myself trying to beat the herd. I just went along with it and knew it was a long race. I was glad it ended up below eight though, as one of my goals was to run all the miles below eight.

After that first mile I settled into a comfortable mid 7:30s pace that I was able to hold for quite a long time. It was a challenge but I wasn't killing myself. This year I was able to enjoy the scenery a bit more and didn't have the feeling that I was going to blow up at any moment. The run over the causeway seemed longer this year, but that was probably just due to my mindset. I was so focused last year and hit those first few miles hard. This year I was just trying to take it all in while still running a good time.

MILES 5-8: SOLID IN SOUTH BEACH (7:36, 7:34, 7:33, 7:35)

Still good, even with the sun.
Look at those splits! Once I settled into my pace I was hitting it very consistently. I got to admit it was pretty cool to be locked into a groove like that and feeling fairly comfortable at that speed. Now, it wasn't like I could hold a conversation, but I wasn't also breathing like a rhino in birth either. It was just a solid pace that was perfect for a half marathon where I wasn't trying to kill myself but also achieve a good time.

I had so much more fun this year. Last year in South Beach I was slowly breaking down and watching my PR goal fly out the window. The weather this year as so much better, I cannot state that enough. I was still in the shade this year in South Beach and the weather was absolutely zero issue. I wish that could be guaranteed every year! I highly doubt they will get weather like this for the race in the next ten years though, it was just unseasonably cool and perfect.

Because I was having such a better run I was able to enjoy the sights more this year and really just take the whole atmosphere in. It seemed like there were more people out cheering and supporting the race, but that could just be my mindset. By the time we headed to the Venenian Islands I was still feeling pretty good. I was starting to tire a little bit but I knew I was more than halfway there now.

MILES 9-11: THE SUN AND THE WIND (7:36, 7:38, 7:44)

Airplaning toward the finish line.
By this time last year I was already running mile times in the 8s. To still be holding my pace this year meant I had a pretty good chance of beating last year's time. To be fair, had the weather been the same last year, I probably would have ran sub 1:40 and beat this year's time. However, that was last year and this was this year, and this year was still going well. I made a note on my watch when I first was exposed to the sun at mile 8.5. Not bad, only 4.5 miles to go and it wasn't even hot.

Last year I complained about the lack of wind on this portion of the run. This year I would like to complain about the amount of wind. Holy Bob Howdy was it windy! There was a nice breeze the whole race, which, coupled with the 55 degrees, meant I was not going to overheat. But going over the Venetians back into Miami was basically running straight into a headwind. At times it would pick up and be quite ridiculous. Luckily these strong gusts didn't typically last very long and for the most part it was just a light breeze.

At mile 10.5 I noted that I "could be done now." It was at this point that fatigue started to hit and I started having to play games with my head. Luckily, I knew I had less than a 5k to go and that really helped with the mental part. I could convince myself to keep running because I was almost there. The weather was fine and I only had like 20 more minutes. I could do it!

MILES 12-13.1: DOWNTOWN TRIUMPH (7:50, 7:48)

As you can see, I fell off pace a little, but not bad at all. I knew what to expect this year, so once I passed that really enthusiastic cheering section at mile eleven and had to face the sight of that swarm of people ahead of me as far as the eye I could see... I was ready. Just keep on truckin'. Tell myself I had less than two miles. Pretty soon it was less than one mile. My body was exhausted but I could go eight more minutes.

And done. Beer me!
Eventually I wove my way through downtown, past the half/full split, and towards the finish line. Last year I got stuck in a group of people at the finish, so this year I tried to find a "hole" where I could get some good photos taken. Managed to succeed and re-enact my "airplane" from my first marathon finish. Felt so good to cross that finish line! And a pretty good time to boot!

THE AFTER PARTY

After going through the chute I collapsed against the same palm tree as last year. I knew my friend was going to be quicker this year, so after a quick recharge under that tree I headed to watch him finish. He came through just about an hour after me and did so well. He finished in 2:41 after 3:18 last year. After only running two miles at a time during training he ran the entire first eight miles and the final two miles of this race. Totally shattered his expectations and mine as well!

Once he was done we had a couple beers and then headed back to his place to crash. After taking a nap we watched the Pro Bowl and then went out to a really delicious pizza restaurant for dinner. We certainly earned every slice! Another successful Miami Half Marathon in the books for both of us! For me it was a three minute course PR and a perfectly executed race plan.

Official Chip Time: 1:41:32, 7:45/mile. 700/13152 overall, 586/6393 male. 78/603 M25-29.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I didn't realize that was such a big race! Glad you had much better weather than last year. Your friend did great!

    ReplyDelete