Tuesday, March 31, 2015

A TRIAL ON THE TRAILS

My "comeback" is going pretty well. I know that is kind of ridiculous considering I only took two weeks off, but I was feeling like shit and losing fitness despite training for at least a month proceeding that, so it has been awhile since I've actually felt like my runs were doing some good. I ended up running 28 miles last week, capped with a twelve mile run on Saturday.

I decided to do one giant loop from my house for my twelve miler, instead of the out and backs to Fanno Creek that have been a staple. That just didn't sound appealing and new territory helps the run go faster, so I plotted a quick route from my house that would take me in a giant squiggly square. It was mostly along roads I drive all the time (so I didn't get lost) which meant there was more traffic than I'd prefer, but it was still good to cover some new ground. Felt pretty good the whole run and while a little sore Sunday, nothing too bad!

On Monday I had a dentist appointment at 3pm (had to leave work early... darn it!). I was done by 4pm and temptingly close to Tryon Creek State Park. I've been wanting to try a trail run in there at some point and I figured there was no time like the present. So off to the park I went, changing in the car (sorry lady who pulled up next to me) and hopping out ready for some exploration. I grabbed a map at the visitors center and off I went.

There were lots of other runners in there so I didn't feel like an oddball by running. The only annoying thing about the whole run was there was a junction about every quarter or half of a mile, requiring me to pause and figure out which way to go. There are a lot of trails packed in those 658 acres, which is a good thing, it just required some navigation. Not that I was super annoyed with the quick breaks... the constant up and down nature of the trails tuckered me out pretty quick!

Surprisingly I didn't trip and the only casualty was some mud on my shoe when I misjudged a jump. I promptly went to a nearby creek to wash it off - trail runners you can laugh now. Overall I had a good time and the five miles really wore me out. It was a hell of a workout and probably akin to eight miles on a flatter surface. My 10:52 average was a reflection of just how hilly and challenging this run was. It was a great changeup from the normal routine though!

2 comments:

  1. That looks so pretty!! I totally understand cleaning off your shoe--that is one thing that would drive me crazy about trail running. I can't stand the thought of muddy shoes! Exploring new places to run always makes running more interesting :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a cool place to run. Wish I had trails like that to run on.

    ReplyDelete