Friday, March 13, 2015

IMPROVEMENT, SHAMROCK, AND COOKIES

Hosting Katie from Runs for Cookies this weekend!
Some positive signs on the running front... after my tougher-than-it-should-be run at group on Monday I had a rest day on Tuesday, which was needed. Run group Wednesday was the least attended run I've seen at PRC in over a year. A total of six of us showed up to run (it started to rain after three weeks of sunshine) and I was not in a good mental space about the whole deal. However, I forced my ass out there and ended up feeling like I was halfway back toward the old Thomas. The 8:45 pace still felt too hard, but it was much improved from my previous runs. Hopefully my cardio is coming back.

I won't run again until Sunday at the Shamrock Run 15k. I won't do a whole preview of the deal, everything is the same as last year, so you can read my preview for that here. Unfortunately, my overtraining, two weeks off, and slower than hoped cardio recovery are not recipes for a PR or great time on Sunday. This year I was hoping to PR and possibly challenge my dad's time of 1:04:50ish but that is out the window. My main goal is to just run hard and do my best at my current ability level. I think breaking 1:10 would be awesome. I would like to at least beat my time from the first time I ran the 15k, 1:12:21. My time will be far off my PR but that's okay!

And finally, I have a visitor this weekend! Katie from Runs for Cookies is coming into town and staying with me. Originally she was going to run the Shamrock Run, but she had an injury setback and isn't quite ready to run a race of that distance again. Instead she'll be cheering on me and other racers in the Shamrock Run. The rest of the weekend should be fun shenanigans and I'm looking forward to it. She flies in tonight and leaves on Tuesday morning. I'll have a recap of everything sometime next week!

2 comments:

  1. I'm LOVING Portland!! Thank you for hosting me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Based on the pics I am seeing on facebook, you two must be having a blast!

    ReplyDelete