Thursday, June 18, 2015

2015 BALD PEAK HALF MARATHON RACE PREVIEW

This Saturday is year two of the Bald Peak Half Marathon. You can read my race preview from last year for all the details as nothing has changed this year. Basically it's a challenging course and finishing should be the main goal. I had a really great run last year, 1:46, which was way better than I even thought possible. I don't have any delusions of matching that this year. My main focus is just to run strong and try to enjoy myself as much as possible.

I'm not sure how hard I'll even be able to run. My body has felt a little off the last few days. My right knee was super sore and a little swollen yesterday (and a little bit today). I don't think it is from running though. I felt fine on Monday and Tuesday after my long run last weekend. My theory is I tweaked it bowling. They re-surfaced the lanes and approaches and they were super slippery on Tuesday at bowling league. Everybody was sliding around and mentioning how they felt like they were going to faceplant.

My suspicion is that by adjusting the way I bowled, after nearly face planting myself on my first ball, I was using and tweaking muscles/tendons in my legs I don't normally use. In order to still get power while bowling you kind of had to bowl normally but they apply extra pressure with your ankles and knees to keep yourself from toppling over. So I'm hoping that's why my knee was all screwed up. Both legs were off, but the right much more so than the left. Normally my left knee is the one with any complaints from running. So who knows.

Anyways, last year I ran this on an ankle the size of a grapefruit, so maybe a little injury is just the magic I need. Overall I've been feeling run down and crappy though, so hopefully that will pass before Saturday morning. If not, oh well. I should know a bunch of people there and I'll have a fun time regardless of how well I do. The weather looks great and I'll make a point to enjoy myself. Not going to worry too much about this race!


GOALS:

"A" Goal: Under 1:50. I'm not sure I can get this. This is an 8:23/mile pace or less. Last year with my 1:46 I averaged 10:10 for the opening two miles uphill, I doubt I'll be under 11:00 this year. Going to have to not give up much time after that to hit this.

"B & C" Goal: Finish under two hours. I'd like to get my A goal, but there is just so much up in the air about this race that I can't put too much weight on that. Just try my best and as long as I do that, be proud of the result. Finishing this half marathon is no joke.

1 comment:

  1. Your bowling issue sounds exactly like what happens when I walk Joey. He pulls so hard and zig-zags that I have to really use extra force with my ankles and knees to keep from being pulled over. I can't run with him anymore, unless he can stop pulling. It aggravates my stress fracture too much. Anyway, I hope you have a great race! Running at an 11:00 pace for the first couple miles will be a good practice for when we run Detroit ;)

    ReplyDelete