Monday, June 08, 2015

TOO DAMN HOT

Artist interpretation of Delta Park this Saturday and Sunday during the Voodoo Lax Tournament. 
Well, I had a mini-failure this weekend. I didn't get out and run. Brandon has been having lacrosse tournaments I've been driving him to the last month or so and it has been really screwing with my running schedule. I was able to work around it for the most part until this weekend, when another tournament coupled with crippling heat led me to say "fuck it."

Saturday there was no way I was going to run. I had to leave my house around 8:30am to go stand around in the sun for eight hours. The tournament was at Delta Park, which has almost no shade. Couple that with temperatures in the low 90s and you have a grumpy Thomas. The sun really drains your energy and I was also standing or walking for 95% of the day (didn't bring a chair). As soon as that was over, I dropped Brandon off and then went to the Timbers game. That was a lot of fun, they won 2-0, but it was another two and a half hours of standing on my feet in the muggy heat.

Sunday I woke up and it was back to the tournament. Brandon's team was done and I was able to drop him off around 2:00. My mom had a birthday party at 5:00. I had three hours to fit my run in. Just enough time to go run twelve, shower, and then drive to the party. So I took a nap. It was 94 outside and I was exhausted from another half day in the sun. There was no way in hell I was going to run and I'm okay with that. It's all about balance. Consider it a rest week. Running twelve miles in 94 degrees is just a bad idea in general.

Anyways, now lacrosse is over and I should be able to hit my Portland Marathon Clinic training runs. It will be a relief to not have to battle to run on my own during the heat of day. I'm actually pretty sore today, almost as much as if I had completed my long run. I think all the standing around really took its toll. My hammies are pretty sore and achy. Supposed to be 92 at 6pm today with I do my PRC group run. Going to take that one easy!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:03 AM

    Hahaha that "artist interpretation" is great. I wouldn't have been running either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whine whine whine... Bitch bitch bitch... Complain complain complain. That's all you ever do. But I still read your blog anyways so I can complain about how much you complain. Signed, Anonymous

    ReplyDelete