Thursday, January 07, 2016

DREADMILL DIARIES


I ended up running on the treadmill at Planet Fitness last night for two reasons:
  1. Katie wasn't going to be able to make PRC due to traffic,
  2. I thought it was going to be colder outside.
Last night actually ended up being a pleasant night. It was like 40 degrees, which felt downright balmy compared to the freezing temperatures we have been experiencing lately. It was probably a good thing I ran inside though, some of the sidewalks in shadier parts were still icy and it wasn't worth the risk. I am ready to get back outside though, as long as it's not raining.

The treadmill last night wasn't as terrible as it will be in the future. This was also for two reasons:
  1. The treadmill is still pretty new to me, and thus, a novelty,
  2. I was motivated to get running again and give a good effort.
I decided I needed to run harder than the 9:30 pace from Monday so I put the treadmill at 8:57/mile (closest to 9:00/mile I could do without going over) and went to work. I was planning on running the five mile route with PRC so I decided to run five on the treadmill as well. This would take me 45 minutes, which was a good step up from the 30 minutes of Monday.

It was hard (#, that's what she said). A lot harder than that pace should have been and used to be. My heart rate was in the mid 170s the entire run and 178 toward the end. With a maximum heart rate of 191 at my age, that is 93.2% of my max heart rate. Running a nine minute mile. Who's out of shape? This guy! I've got a lot of work to get back to running like I used to. Hopefully this cross-training/weight lifting will get me on the right track to get back there.

Long story short, the run was hard but manageable. For the first two miles I felt like I was going to die and that the pace was a sprint. The next two miles I settled in a little bit and felt pretty good about myself and locked into a groove (plus, Seinfeld was on and it was hilarious). The last mile was a real bear. My body knew it was the last mile and thus, made it harder than it should have been. I was pouring sweat and it felt like my heart was going to explode, but I managed to finish without too much issue.

Hell of a workout. Hopefully my body has enough muscle memory and baseline fitness that I can improve fairly quickly. Just think though... here I was working mightily to finish five miles at a 9:00/mile pace... in 17 days in Miami I have to run thirteen plus miles at near that pace just to break two hours. Ugh. Whatever. At least I can run and I'm not dead.

1 comment:

  1. Katie9:47 PM

    You'll totally do fine in Miami. I believe in you! Also, it didn't look like you were working that hard, so props on hiding it. Would it be ok if I tell you that I felt fine the entire run - winded, but fine (remember I wanted to do 1 more mile and you wouldn't do it with me!). Maybe it was hard because your abs are going to fall off your body so they weren't supporting you. Also, I think my heart rate is almost always around 170 something on my average joe-schmo runs.

    ReplyDelete