Tuesday, January 05, 2016

RETURN TO RUNNING: TREADMILL THREE

So my initial goal was to start running again come January. Yesterday I was supposed to run with PRC but we had some snow/ice and the sidewalks were not safe to run on. Plus, it was like 34 degrees and that's really cold. I just don't care enough anymore to make that very palatable. Anywhosle, looking back at my blog I forgot to mention I ended up running five miles on Christmas morning. It has become a favorite tradition of mine, so I ended up doing it. I ran at 9:36/mile and it felt harder than it should have been, but I did the five miles without issue.

Fast forward to last night. After that five miles on Christmas my legs felt decent.. I wouldn't say they were worse, but they still felt not great. Definitely not the crazy swelling/soreness that caused me to stop running in the first place. I still wanted to give myself additional rest so I didn't run again until last night. Since I have a half marathon in three weeks, I figured I better start running again, so I met Katie at Planet Fitness and we ran on the treadmills. I made it a goal to run 30 minutes and I ended up running 3.15 miles during that time. About 9:35/mile. Felt just like Christmas, faster and harder than it should have been.

Fortunately, I am not completely out of shape. I'm able to do the elliptical and those three miles without issue. The problem will be trying to run thirteen miles at a quicker pace. Oh, and I'll be in Miami and it'll likely be warm and humid. All signs are pointing to an epic shit show. Honestly, I think my goal will be a sub 2:00 half marathon. It's amazing it's gotten to that point, but it is what it is. Hopefully I'm able to build back up to sub 1:45, but I can't get back there in three weeks. And also, I just don't care. Between the weather and my body rejecting running lately, I'm just not motivated. Hopefully this cross training will help out my running and I'll get motivated again once the weather turns warmer.

Anyways, that's the update. I'm enjoying the gym. I like lifting weights, it's a great workout in its own regard, and if I build muscle I'll burn more calories naturally. That means I can eat more food. So that's always a win. The gym also hasn't been too bad with the New Years Resolutioners, so that has been nice. Still able to get equipment and not wait around. Definitely busier than normal yesterday but not beyond the capacity of the gym. Fingers crossed my run with PRC tomorrow tonight goes well!

No comments:

Post a Comment