Wednesday, November 22, 2017

2017 GIVE N' GOBBLE RACE PREVIEW

From 2013. Might have to recreate this outfit.
So, I'm running a 10k tomorrow! This one kind of snuck up on me but I always like to do a turkey trot on Thanksgiving so I'm glad I signed up. I ran this one four years ago and set a PR (at the time) at it. You can read that preview here. The course is still the same... although the goals have changed! Ha.

Anyways, I remember this course being hillier than I expected or wanted last time. It wasn't a fast, flat course - it had some rolling hills and a decent sized incline toward the end. I've gotten some of my hill shape back... the rollercoaster route two weeks ago went pretty well and on runs with Sunstone I'm able to plow up the hills without too much issue. They slow me down for sure, but they don't kill me physically. Plus, my goal right now it to just get in decent all around shape, so I welcome the hills. Would rather have this course than something pancake flat.

As for goals, I am not having a particular time goal. I'm still not sure on my abilities enough at this point to set something appropriate. I'd hate to set a target pace, hit that, and then realize I had more in me. Or set a pace, struggle to maintain it, and then blow up at mile four. So the goal is just to run a 10k pace. I remember what a 10k should feel like. I used this same strategy at the 5k a few weeks ago and it was pretty successful. So my goal is just to run a 10k pace and challenge myself that way.

Since I don't have a specific time goal and will be running on feel, I don't plan or want to look at my watch much. I don't want to look and think I'm running too fast or too slow. So I'll probably just put it on the time of day screen and ignore it for the most part. I probably won't be able to resist looking at the mile splits though. I am a runner after all!

In other news, I am one week into my leflunomide treatment. I have yet to have any negative side effects. The first six days I was on a half dose though, so I've only had one full dose. Kind of ease my body into it. I already like it a lot more! The only side effect, if anything, is a slight rumbly tummy right when I take it. It's gone pretty quickly though. So much better so far than methotrexate in those terms. Hopefully that will continue with the full dose. The big question remains though... will it be able to achieve the same symptom relief that methotrexate did? TBD. Joints still feel dandy but the methotrexate is still in there working for a few weeks. It's got a long half life.

No comments:

Post a Comment