Wednesday, November 27, 2013

GIVE N' GOBBLE 10K PREVIEW

Real quick preview for this one, the Give N' Gobble in Sherwood. Have to wake up in eight short hours to run it! I signed up for this 10k a month or so back wanting to set a new 10k PR. To date I've ran four 10k races and I don't feel like I've had a really good shot at setting my true PR yet. The reasons are:

Rum Run 2012 & 2013 - Course is long by a tenth of a mile, which is 45 extra seconds.
Great Pumpkin Run 2012 - Lack of training, hilly course
Pints to Pasta 2013 - Day after 20 mile training run

My record at the moment is 45:56 set at a long course at the Rum Run this last spring. Should the course been the correct distance, I would have clocked in just above 45 minutes. That course is also hilly, which can lend itself to longer times. So I really feel like I have a good chance to smash my old record. I think I am faster now and I know that I am in better shape.

The course itself tomorrow looks to clock in right at 6.22 miles. So no funny business there. The altitude on gmap-pedometer doesn't look too bad. Their elevation data is always ugly and jagged, but it gives you a general idea. Looks like a 100 foot climb in the first mile, kind of rolling after that, then a downhill final mile. Honestly, it shouldn't be a problem, but the course isn't quite as pancake flat as the Rivalry Clash.

The event itself should be fun. Last year they had a couple thousand people show up so it is a sizable thing. There are a lot of families that walk the 5k but the 10k is run only. There will be an issue because both races start at the same time and the 10k course merges back into the 5k course at mile 5. So I'll likely be dodging some walkers, The Walking Dead style.

Okay, goal time! They are as follows:

A Goal: Sub 44. Honestly, I don't know if I can do this. That is 7:05/mile on slightly hilly course. McMillian says I can run a 43:53 but that was based on my Rivalry Clash 5k time on a much flatter course. Really going to depend on those hills and how I am feeling.

B Goal: Sub 45. This is going to be a challenge and my main goal. This would take 7:14/mile. I think with this course that is a good number to shoot for. I'll be thrilled with something starting with 44!

C Goal: New PR, 45:55 or less. The fact that this is so low shows how much I'm challenging myself at this race. At minimum I'd like to set a new PR. I could be satisfied with that. However, I think I can go sub 45, so I'm really going to shoot for that.

Wish I had my watch already so I could pace myself better. I might have to pull my phone out once or twice to make sure I am hitting pace. Whatever happens, an awesome Thanksgiving with the family will follow, so for that, I am thankful!

1 comment: