Monday, November 25, 2013

GREAT RUN TO CAP A GREAT WEEK

Part of the northern part of Fanno Creek I had only run on once before. To the right is the Portland Golf Club.
Remember when I said the 8am start might be the only issue with the run on Saturday? I know myself too well apparently. My alarm went off at 7am to get ready for the run. I had a text from Alejandro, confirming my area of residence so he could hop a bus and I could drive us to the run. I guess his wife unexpectedly needed the car. By the time I was coherent enough to check my phone and respond the next bus wasn't going to get here in time. Oh well, I said, we'll just do a run later in the morning.

And back to bed I went. I could hear my phone buzz about a minute later. "Hey, my wife can actually drop me off! We back on?" to which I was like "Umm, no, I am back in sleep mode." Once the decision was made to not go I was not going to gather the will to actually hop out of bed and scramble to get there in time.

Instead, I slept in until ten and then arranged to meet him at PRC at noon for a run on Fanno Creek. I took a warm bath to extend my morning slumber and invited Matt along as well. To my surprise, he came, so the three of us ended up running twelve miles in what was a really awesome day! The Coach Jim run would have been really cold (starting in the high 20s, low 30s) but by the time we got started around noon it had warmed up to the mid 40s (over 50 by the time we finished) and the sun was out shining with nary a cloud in sight. Beautiful November day!

The run was a lot of fun. I honestly don't remember when I had such a good time on a twelve mile run. We were just chatting and took a relatively easy pace (9:20/mile). Felt really easy and we ran the northern part of Fanno Creek I had only been on once before. It was much better than running alone and the run seemed to fly by. It capped a really great week for me running wise.

Rollercoaster, intervals, and long run in 3 out of 4 days did leave me a little sore on Sunday. And honestly still a bit sore today. At run group tonight I'll probably do the five mile route instead of the seven miles. I have a 10k race on Thursday (preview next post) and I want to make sure I am as fresh as possible for that. Seven hilly miles on tired legs today probably wouldn't be the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment