Monday, November 18, 2013

THIS IS THOMAS. HE DOES TRICKS FOR FOOD.

The Hollister Trail on Sunday. Pretty? Yes. Didn't help the not wanting to run feeling though.
I've basically come to the realization that when it comes to running I have been reduced to a trained seal. Last week was a struggle on the running front for a number of reasons. It all started with being pretty tired from my fifteen mile run last Saturday. By Monday I was feeling better, but I still wasn't super fresh. I then proceeded to hit the 7 mile hilly "rollercoaster" route at run group pretty hard, which felt decent at the time but left me pretty sore and achy.

On Wednesday I took my Dad to the Blazers game for his birthday meaning I missed Wednesday group run. That was okay with me because my legs felt trashed and overall I felt tired and groggy. On Thursday I still felt pretty crappy but forced myself outside because I didn't want to slack off for no good reason. If "not feeling like it" was a valid reason, I would hardly ever run. I was dreading the run so much that I wore headphones for the first time in a long time. I needed anything to mix it up.

After falling on my "recovery jog." Sucks.
I went out there to do a "recovery jog" type run and that I did. I averaged 10:27/mile and that is the slowest I have ever run since becoming "serious" around the Shamrock Run in 2012. It didn't feel that slow, but I turned the mile time readings off so I wouldn't feel bad about myself. Going that slow also didn't stop me from falling on my ass; although, I think the slow pace contributed to the tumble. I was just kind of dragging my feet, slogging along, when I hit a ripple in the sidewalk. Oww.

On Friday I felt a lot better (recovery jog ftw!) so I went out and did that same route 15 minutes faster. Averaged 8:07 a mile. Felt really good! Was a struggle to get outside again, but once I did, I hit it hard. So after that I felt okay.

Sunday was my long run day this weekend. I ended up settling on 12 miles since I felt the need for a "down week" as I was still feeling pretty worn. I really did NOT want to run on Sunday and the only thing that got me out the door was I told myself I would get Five Guys afterward if I did the run. So honestly that is about the only thing that got me out the door. Will do tricks for food.

The run was pretty terrible but I got it done. I ran circles on the Hollister Trail at Nike at a 9:30/mile pace. Seven times around that and then some farting around in the parking lot. 12 miles overall. Felt like 18. Couldn't stomach another run from my house on the same old trail. Overall I am not sure the repetitive laps were a better option, especially with the rent-a-cop patrolling the path puttering by every five minutes, but whatever. Afterward I limped into Five Guys and got my reward. Arp, arp. Good Thomas.

1 comment:

  1. I've been lazy too. I blame Amanda, who's been sleeping on my couch and making me eat drunk food and drink booze ;D

    ReplyDelete