Friday, June 17, 2005

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/pcworld/20050618/tc_pcworld/121416

Is it me or should cities be able to provide internet service? Sounds good to me. It's absolutly ridiculous that you have to pay mega-giant Comcast Corportation $49.95/mo to get cable internet (plus the "modem rent" charge). Although DSL has gotten cheaper, down to about $29.95/mo, it should still probably be lower. Broadband in Canada is the price of normal dial-up here in the United States (about twenty a month). I don't know what they are doing different, but I have to think lack of huge mega-corporations controlling everything has something to do with it. Let the city compete. Maybe they're ten bucks a month cheaper, but they don't have as good as customer service (Comcast has quite possibly the worst customer service I've ever seen despite those commercials). Let the consumer decide. The city would SUCK at a lot of services, but this... this I think is something they could do pretty well.

No comments:

Post a Comment