Thursday, June 30, 2005

Well, I got back Tuesday morning around 11:00am. I was running on no sleep (I went two days without sleep!) so I was understandably tired. I went to bed at 6:00pm and didn't wake up until 7:00 the next morning. Then Wednesday night I was exhausted from the return to work and still recuperating from the whole trip so I didn't feel like posting. You all are lucky I'm doing this right now, as I could sleep in an instant.




The flight left the Tuesday before last at like six in the morning. We were all supposed to meet up at the curb at 4:45am. Well, we woke up at 4:15am. My mom's alarm clock didn't work and I didn't set mine. So we got sorta of lucky by waking up randomly. We rushed to get to the airport, but my mom drove like a maniac and we were only five minutes late. No biggie. I wasn't even the worst. At the time I arrived, one kid was just waking up. He essentially ran onto the plane right as they were closing the door.

I didn't really know anyone there, a few sorta, but nobody real well. I got paired with cool roommates though and got along real good with them. I'm glad I wasn't in the other boy's room... not that I don't like them personally, I just don't get along with those types of personalties well. Funny how they seem to pair people alike even though they don't try.

That Tuesday we arrived in Orlando at like five something, so we all settled in and went out to eat at Bahama Breeze. It was decent, we went there on my trip to Las Vegas as well, but not worth the twenty bucks. Very spendy. Also, the server spilled my "Lemon Breeze" and then proceeded to spill two people's cokes all over them while trying to clean up my spill which I was able to avoid. Quite the fun time.

Wednesday we just spent all day going around to the various theme parks. We hit MGM first, not really doing anything, then Animal Kindgom, hitting their rapids ride. It was fun and I got a little wet but not too bad. We then went on a really lame ass roller coaster. One of those mouse track ones, but with a spinny cart. It was pretty jerky but still sorta fun. We then went to Epcot, not finding much there (at this point we weren't willing to wait for more than about two minutes). We then went to the Magic Kingdom and rode the Indy Speedway. It's a bunch of cars with a top speed of about 10mph on a track. Weeeeee... anyways that was lame so we went to Space Mountain. The line was out of the building so we got FastPasses, thinking we would return but never did.

We got back to the hotel room and ordered pizza from Sal's. We had been in the hotel room when all of a sudden a piece of paper flies from under the door. Sal's seemed to know we were hungry. Anyways, we got two large pizzas and some hot wings. It was good. We'd tap the Sal's faucet two more times before the trip was up.

The next day was spent entirely in the Magic Kingdom. We left at about eleven in the morning, myself sleeping in, the other's going to some Chinese food buffet across the street. At the Magic Kindgom we got some FastPasses, waited in some lines, and accepted that DisneyWorld isn't a thrill ride type of place. We did have to wait about two hours for Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, as thunderstorms shut it down. I convinced everybody to wait it out though, and I guess it was worth it.

We also rode on Space Mountain three times. Our last time took too long and we missed the Western Regional Meeting. Oh no! We were happy to get out of that one.

Friday we all spent the day in the hotel, watching HBO and consuming cans of pop. We basically did nothing. Seriously. Dale did build a tower of pop cans that was quite impressive. You can see that in the pictures.

Saturday was competition day. We all left our hotel at eleven (we were in the "overflow hotel") to get to the official hotel to take our test. I took Accounting II, and I thought it was pretty easy. Not that I was going to place or anything, but I felt pretty good with the way I did. The rest of the day we didn't do much, checked out a few campaign booths of people running for office, etc.

Sunday we layed around again. I slept in quite a while. Nothing exciting happened. I was going to go swimming but it started to thunder and they had to close the pool down. I think we ordered Sal's again, quite delicious once more.

Monday we were originally going to go to Universal Studios. I had to talk them out of this, it would be about eighty bucks per person (transportation included) for just a few rides we really cared about. We had a freakin Disney Park pass that could get us into all four of their parks for free. So after some convincin' it was decided we stay at DisneyWorld. We went to Epcot for the whole day and discovered it had a lot to offer. TestTrack, Mission: Space, and one other thing I forgot. It was fun anywho.

We had to leave at 4:00 because we had the award's ceremony at seven. We got all dressed up and went as a group. Two people in my room got awards. Dan got 10th place in Accounting I, while Dale ("Date" according to the announcer/graphics) got a remarkable 2nd in Technology Concepts. With all his ramblings about computers/technology throughout the week it wasn't a surprise. Jessica Ice from Oregon won the position as National Treasuer, so Oregon has another officer again (Hilary Neidermeyer, the National President for this year was from Oregon).

The ceremony lasted three hours and was pretty boring. We cheered for Oregon people but that was about all you could do. Bradford Williams, a black kid from Chicago, was running for President. He should have won, his qualifications were out of this world and the competition wasn't very good. I met him at his booth and he seemed down to earth. He's been active in getting the public schools funded in Chicago, got a $11,000 grant for FBLA in Chicago, was on Obama's election team, etc. Somehow another guy won and it was a disgrace. I think the bloody South had a hand in that one.

Anyways after the Awards Ceremony we went back to the hotel. Our plane left at 5:00am so we had to leave the hotel at 3:00am. It was already 11:00pm, so there was no point in sleeping. We stayed up until the bus came and I didn't get to sleep on the plane (thus the two days without sleep).

All in all, the trip was really fun and much better than I expected. DisneyWorld was a blast and the experience was really cool.

Florida was too humid though. It's really disgusting. You're covered with moisture when you first step outside and it's like breathing in a suana. I don't know why anybody would want to live there.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11:30 AM

    Thomas I don't know if you still check this, but my aunt was searching my naem and came onto your site. I'm Bradford Williams from Chicago and I ran for FBLA president. I appreciate your comments and I rejuvenated to hear that a least somebody out there recognized what I stood for. If you ever want to talk, my email is bradfordwilliams1@hotmail.com Thanks again for your support and best of luck in all of you future endeavors.

    Brad

    ReplyDelete