Tuesday, March 12, 2013

12 MILE RECAP & SHAMROCK RUN 15K PREVIEW

I will not be lining up with these people when the 15k gun goes off at Shamrock.
Last weekend's twelve miler was one of the harder runs I had done in a while. I'm not sure exactly why, but I have a few theories...

  • Still coming off my sickness. I am still hacking up some of the stuff that settled in my lungs. It is nearly gone but there is something still there. Coupled with that, I took nearly two weeks off and it's only been two weeks since then. This is my second long run since getting sick. So I am not quite back into the shape I was in.

    All my runs over ten miles ever.
  • This is still historically a long distance for me. While I like to think a 12 mile run is no problem, if you rank it in terms of my longest runs ever, it clocks in at a tie for 4th. So, it is a long ways for me. Also, look at my pace (8:46) compared to other similar long runs. Aside from my race and the half marathon practice run I did right before I got sick (those were the days) this was a historically fast long run. Just ignore 6/9/2012, I must have smoked a bowl of meth or something before that run.

  • I need to hydrate/refuel on runs over 10 miles. I didn't drink a lick of water the whole run or eat any Gu or anything. No wonder my body felt like it was breaking down and exhausted toward the end. I'm probably going to have to buy a hydration belt or start planning runs that incorporate water fountains or loops back to my house where I can pitstop. In addition to hydrating, I need to practice eating stuff on long runs since that will be key when I do my marathon in October.

In reality, it was probably a combination of all three. Despite the difficulty, as you can see, I clearly kicked ass. Twelve miles at a 8:46 pace. It was more of a 8:35 pace until the final 5k or so too. I did a loop from my house to the Fanno Creek Trail out to 99W and back. The weather was AWESOME for this time of year, 55 and brilliantly sunny. I'm surprised I didn't get sunburned. I slept in until 1:30pm and didn't get started until 2:30 or so. Oops!

The run went pretty well, I just got really exhausted towards the end. Way more than a normal run. I'll admit, I paused at crosswalks and hit the button when I knew I could get the maximum break. My muscles just felt empty. I did the miles though and it was really a great day to be out there. Afterward I collapsed at home and got an intense headache that wouldn't go away. I drank lots of water and fell back asleep less than 12 hours after I woke up.

SHAMROCK RUN PREVIEW AND GOALS

This year at the Shamrock Run I'll be doing the 15k. It was this run last year that convinced me to do more than a 5k. Here it is, a year later, and I have multiple longer distance events under my belt including a kick ass half marathon. So in a way the Shamrock Run this year will be the one year anniversary of me deciding to become "serious."

For those not aware, the Shamrock Run will have 35,000 participants this year. Not everyone will show up, and it is divided into three events, but still, this is a HUGE ASS event. The largest running event in Portland (I think it might even beat Komen).

An example of the crowds. The 15k at 7:45/mi won't be nearly this busy though.
There used to be a race every year in Portland around this same time called the Cascade Run Off. It was a 15k race that really changed a lot of things in the running culture and had a huge impact nationwide. If you are not familiar with its history, here is a good article. Eventually that race petered off and Shamrock added its 15k route as homage to that piece of Portland running history.

My dad ran the Cascade Run Off back in the heyday and his best time was 1 hour, 4 minutes. I'll have to confirm with him, but it was something right along there. Basically 7 minute miles for the whole thing. I am not going to beat that this time around, but eventually, if I get to where I want to be in running, I hope to beat that time someday.

Okay, so it's a huge ass race, I'm doing the 15k instead of the 5k this year, and my dad used to run it back in the 80s and he got a really good time. What are my goals this year? Funny you should ask. I've thought about it and here they are:

Race Goals:

"A" Goal: Beat my time at the Zena Road Runs 15k earlier this year. So that'd be 1:12:21 or less. 7:45 a mile. The hills in this event appear to be tamer than Zena, however they come in the middle 5k of the event instead of the first 5k. I believe it is also a more sustained uphill for a full 5k, where Zena was more of a big ass hill the first mile and then little bumps upward the next two miles. Overall, I think it will be a more challenging course so beating my time from Zena would be awesome.

"B" Goal: 1:15:00 or less. That is 8 minute miles or less. Anything starting with a "7" over the course of a hilly 9.3 miles is nothing to sneeze at. The final 5k of this race is all downhill, so my legs will probably be worn and I won't be looking to bomb down them. My average pace after 10k will likely be above 8 though, so that final downhill 5k will determine whether or not I can hit this goal.

"C" Goal: I guess 1:20:00 or less. Barring an injury, there shouldn't be a reason why I can't beat my "B" goal or at least get close. I guess I'll do the standard cliche "do my best and don't get hurt." Really though, there are a lot of variables in this race. I haven't done the course yet, it can be crowded, it's hilly, etc. Honestly though, if I don't at least get my B goal I'll be disappointed.

3 comments:

  1. AWESOME job on the 12-miler! That's a great pace, especially considering you were getting over being sick. Looking at your list, I'm super impressed with your race pace! I always tend to do races slower than training... Weird, right?

    I get a day-long headache after long runs, too. I think it's from dehydration. I hate carrying water with me, so I can do up to 13.1 w/o water... But always get the evil headache!

    Good luck on your race!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very weird. I can never match my race paces during training even if I try my best. Something about the adrenaline and competition really motivates me!

    I'm also opposite on the treadmill. For you it's easier, for me, it'd death. 8:30/mile on the dreadmill is super hard for me but doing that outside is much easier!

    Thanks, good luck on yours too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have to remember to check your blog more often! Good luck T Skillet and have a great run! :D

    ReplyDelete