Saturday, March 02, 2013

TEN MILER - STILL MENDING

My long runs often follow the powerlines through these park paths.
Well, after a great run Monday I may have spoke a little too soon about feeling like my old self. I put off my next run until Thursday and it wasn't the greatest. I was really dreading doing it and talked myself out of it Wednesday to give myself an extra day to get recover. By the time Thursday rolled around I was ready to postpone it until Friday, but that was no longer an option because I now have a bowling league. Plus, I wouldn't allow myself to do that, that would just be lazy.
Today's lackluster 10 miler.

Anyways, I averaged 8:22/mile on Thursday and really struggled to that. First three miles I felt pretty decent and hit a sub 8 on the third, but after that I just felt drained. Really had to push myself to keep it up on the final 5k and I was proud of the effort I gave. It just sucked. I was NOT having fun. One of those runs when you wonder why you put yourself through that. Afterwards I coughed for about two minutes straight. A woman walking her dog pretty much thought I was dying right there on the side of the road.

So after that great experience I was not looking forward to my run this morning. It was originally going to be 11 miles but I revised it to ten after waking up. I just did not feel fresh in my legs and my left calf did not feel right. It was early the morning and I was cranky. You know what though? I forced my ass out there and ran it. I took it real easy on purpose because I felt so drained, running 9:50/mile. Normally that would be embarrassing for me, but frankly I didn't care. I was out there running ten miles when that was the last thing I wanted to be doing. So good for me!

Overall it wasn't the greatest run. I think my body just isn't fully recovered from my sickness. I am still coughing up crap from my lungs and just don't have that pep in my step at all. Going to take it really easy tomorrow and hopefully I'll be ready for group Monday.

1 comment:

  1. That looks like a gorgeous trail that you run! Good for you getting out there and running long, despite the fact that it was the last thing you felt like doing. I feel like that pretty much every Friday when I'm scheduled for a long run ;)

    ReplyDelete