Friday, July 05, 2013

STARS AND STRIPES HALF MARATHON PREVIEW

The 3.28 mile loop I'll do 4 times.
On Sunday I will be partaking in the Stars and Stripes Half Marathon in my current town of Beaverton. A post about how I ended up running this race can be found here. A big shout out to all my friends who ran the Foot Traffic Flat yesterday morning... I should have been there, but oh well. You all did awesome! :)

This race should be pretty flat and a great chance to set a PR. The route is a 3.28 mile loop through the Fanno Creek Trail, a place I run all the time (each Monday and Wednesday at group run, then often on the weekends during my long run). It will be a small race, I believe it is capped at 100 runners, so it will be pretty unique. The full and half marathoners will be on the course at the same time at various points in their loop journey so I'll just have to focus on myself and my own pace.

After each loop you run by the "home base" where they mark your lap down and there is also an aid station. I have a feeling this process might add a little bit of time to my race. I assume they'll be able to mark my lap down pretty quick assuming I don't come in with a bunch of runners, so hopefully that won't be an issue. Since I only get three pit stops during the race though the aid station might take a tad longer. I'll probably plan to eat a Gu as I'm rolling into the station since those always make me super thirsty.

Aside from the slightly longer and more spread out pit stops, I think I'll be able to attack this race pretty well. I'll have two days of rest before hand. I ran on the Fourth of July for 6.41 miles and took it very easy. I'll take today and Saturday off then attack the race on Sunday.

GOALS:

A Goal: An average pace of 7:30/mi or less. This translates to 1:38:20 or less for the half marathon. Maybe this is a bit much, but I feel like if I give it 110% I can get this.

B Goal: New half marathon PR. 1:39:48 or less. Honestly, the whole point of doing this race is to PR, so I'll be bummed if I don't get this.

C Goal: Beat my first half marathon at 1:42:32. Finish without getting hurt.

2 comments:

  1. Hey there! I sent you a message on Facebook a couple of days ago, and I just wanted to make sure you saw it. Facebook said it would go to your "Other" folder, and I know I miss messages in there all the time.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Totally didn't see it. Didn't even know I had an "other folder" .. turns out I have messages from 2 years ago in there... oops! Sorry Jan Graf from July 2011, I don't think we are related!

    ReplyDelete